Author Topic: Here of sufferance!!!  (Read 4404 times)

Offline maggiefishblue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Here of sufferance!!!
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 21 August 05 12:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Arranroots,

Could you let me have a copy of Wiiliam on the 1891 census please?

William is the brother of my gggrandmother, I think!  He was married to a Sarah Boulton.  I have found a Sarah Dowdeswell on the 1881 census and am going to do some more research on her to see if I can find out if she and Sarah Boulton are the same person.  She is down as a widow but with an old reprobate like William as a husband, maybe she felt that was the appropriate title to give!!!! It might also explain the reason William and Emma aren't married in 1881 - or am I letting my imagination run wild here?!!!   ;D ;D

Kind regards,
Maggie  :)

I am researching: <br />~ Gamble, Hincks, Grewcock, Grant, Leeson, Wright - Leicestershire/Warwickshire<br />~ Bywater - Warwickshire, Cheshire, Staffordshire<br />~ Crisp, Smith, Dowdeswell, Griffin, Stayt/Stait/Staite, Carpenter, Blizzard/Blissard - Gloucestershire<br />~ Bladder, Carter - Worcestershire

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 21 August 05 12:14 BST (UK) »
certainly can, Maggie - bear with me...

;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 21 August 05 12:25 BST (UK) »
Here he is

RG12/2038   91   13

DOWDESWELL William H M 74 - farm bailiff - Glos Kineton
DOWDESWELL Emma W M 34 - Glos Cheltenham (Gotherington is near Cheltenham)
DOWDESWELL William son 11 - Glos Cutsdean
DOWDESWELL John son 10 - ditto
DOWDESWELL Elizabeth dau 6 - Stow on the Wold
SMITH William nephew U 22 - blacksmith - Glos Yaunton (Naunton?)

Address: South Hill Farm, Lower Swell, Gloucestershire

Note that some of these villages "move" between Glos & Worcs in different censuses.

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)

(BTW is that his son born Swell fields I can see on this census? Living Castle Eaton)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline maggiefishblue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 21 August 05 12:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Arranroots,

Thanks for that - isi nephew William comes from Naunton I think.  That's where the Smiths were living at the time. 

Please could I have the census entry for the possible son living in Castle Eaton.  It might be his son or it might be his nephew - it's quite a large family and they all tended to originate from Temple Guiting, Swell Fields (which I think was Lower Swell?) and that area.

Thanks for the information about the two counties - I did wonder... ???
I am researching: <br />~ Gamble, Hincks, Grewcock, Grant, Leeson, Wright - Leicestershire/Warwickshire<br />~ Bywater - Warwickshire, Cheshire, Staffordshire<br />~ Crisp, Smith, Dowdeswell, Griffin, Stayt/Stait/Staite, Carpenter, Blizzard/Blissard - Gloucestershire<br />~ Bladder, Carter - Worcestershire

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 21 August 05 12:54 BST (UK) »
Ok here is another boundary area for you, this time Wiltshire.  (I used to pass this farm on the school bus every day!)

RG12/1579   104  5

DOWDESWELL William H M 37 - farmer - Glos Swellfields
DOWDESWELL Sarah E W M 31 - Wilts Blunsdon
DOWDESWELL Gertrude H dau 4 - Wilts Castle Eaton
DOWDESWELL Maud E dau 7 months - ditto
MILLS Susannah serv 12 - gen serv dom - Gloucestershire Barrington Down

Address: Castle Eaton Farm, Castle Eaton, Wiltshire

;)

Offline maggiefishblue

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 21 August 05 14:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks again Arranroots  ;)

William H Dowdeswell appears to be the son of Charles Dowdeswell - William's (of sufferance fame) nephew. 

I have him on the 1881 census living with his father at Pinnock Farm, Didbrook, Glos. (he is one of the ones with A/L after his occupation which you were helping me to solve in an earlier posting!)

He appears to be a farmer in his own right now.  I think they must have been tenant farmers because they certainly move around the area a bit - cross county too!!! ;D

Is the farm still there today?  You say that you passed it on the school bus - it's really good to think of these places in 'real' terms rather than as names on a census form.  There I go getting carried away again .... :D
Thanks again for your help.
Maggie

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • "Family ~ link to our past, bridge to our future"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 12 April 16 13:52 BST (UK) »
I know that this is an old thread but I only just found it - and was struck by a coincidence.

In 1851, Charles A White was living at Scarborough Farm with his housekeeper, Catherine Jeynes - and they too later married. They were closer in age, though, both being in their 40s :)
Worcs / Glos: Neal Neale Jeynes Jeens Geans Harris Roper Ropier Colley Dyer Heeks Bayzand Hampton Bishop Cole Elton Littlehales McGowan
Glamorgam: Hampton Thornton Svombo Swambo Swanbo Keefe O Keefe Shanahan Shannon Doyle Maldoon Muldoon Davies Llewellyn Jones
Birmingham: Neale Sarjant Cole Hiley Berridge Tirebuck

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 13 April 16 21:31 BST (UK) »
There is another coincidence, Tricia. One of William's ancestors named relatives "Gine/Gyne" in his will of 1617.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • "Family ~ link to our past, bridge to our future"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 29 August 21 05:03 BST (UK) »
... One of William's ancestors named relatives "Gine/Gyne" in his will of 1617.
Interesting! My gt gt grandmother was Esther Jeynes / Jeans / Geens. :)
(Sorry for such a late reply!)
Worcs / Glos: Neal Neale Jeynes Jeens Geans Harris Roper Ropier Colley Dyer Heeks Bayzand Hampton Bishop Cole Elton Littlehales McGowan
Glamorgam: Hampton Thornton Svombo Swambo Swanbo Keefe O Keefe Shanahan Shannon Doyle Maldoon Muldoon Davies Llewellyn Jones
Birmingham: Neale Sarjant Cole Hiley Berridge Tirebuck