Author Topic: Mina H Thomson  (Read 1712 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Mina H Thomson
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 07 January 20 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Williamina H Thomson, birth, Premnay 1880.

Margaret Thomson, mother Ann Thomson, father not named, birth Premnay 10 April 1864.

1871 Census, Premnay: Ann Thomson, 30, unmarried, pauper and stocking knitter, born Premnay; Maggie Mitchell, daughter, 6 and Mary Emslie, daughter, 4.

Mary Thomson, mother Ann Thomson, father not named, birth Premnay 10 June 1866.

There's also a Margaret Ann Emslie, parents William Emslie and Ann Thomson, born Tarland and Migvie 5 April 1868, who might be worth investigating. This couple, however, were married in Tarland and Migvie on 8 June 1867, so it may be a coincidence of names.

1851 Census, Premnay: William Thompson, mason, 48, born Inverurie; wife Margaret, 46, born Oyne; Helen, 18; John, 16; Ann, 20; Margaret, 8; Mary, 3; all children born Premnay. Looks like the family of William Thomson and Margaret Leslie, married 28 January 1832 at Oyne.

Margaret Leslie or Thomson, mother's surname Benzie, died in Premnay in 1869 aged 64.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 07 January 20 15:38 GMT (UK) »
1901 census Wilhemina Thomson age 20
Working as a kitchenmaid domestic at Invercauld Arms Glenmuick Aberdeenshire

Rosie

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 07 January 20 15:45 GMT (UK) »
There is a death for Ann Thomas age 45 in 1883 Premnay Aberdeenshire
Scotland's People

Rosie

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 07 January 20 16:03 GMT (UK) »
1901 census Wilhemina Thomson age 20
Working as a kitchenmaid domestic at Invercauld Arms Glenmuick Aberdeenshire
***** transcriptions again! The full and proper name of this registration district is Glenmuick, Tullich and Glengairn. It covers a great swathe of land roughly centred on Ballater.

Specifically, it doesn't include Braemar so it can't be the obvious Invercauld Arms Hotel, at Braemar, which is in the parish of Crathie and Braemar. An online search will suggest that there is an Invercauld Arms Hotel in Ballater, but this is not true; it is the same one in Braemar, the post code for which is linked to the post code of Ballater.

If you want to find out exactly where this Invercauld Arms is, you would have to look at the census images and note the names of other nearby places.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 07 January 20 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I posted   ::) ::)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 07 January 20 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I posted   ::) ::)
That wasn't what I meant at all. I was (yet again) annoyed by the transcriptions that don't include all the information that is in the original source. You were perfectly correct to post it because it is useful and relevant, and I am sorry if I inadvertently offended.

Offline Cadnant

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 07 January 20 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everyone, especially Forfarian for your help with this.  I spent most of yesterday evening researching Mina. Thanks for all the wee tips, and some great finds.

I had  seen the Wilhemina H Thomson in Premnay previously,  and wasn`t sure if she was/is the right one (She would have been my Great Granny). I`m now pretty sure this is the same person.

Why she started to use the name Mina in official documents from the time of her marriage is a mystery, although there may be a child involved somewhere.......maybe a Donald, who emigrated to America, or died in WW1?

I posted in this forum as she had a  Montrose address at the time of her marriage. But I was told as  a child that she was from Kincardineshire, but Aberdeenshire is close enough.......but then I traced her half sister, Maggie Mitchell and find her in Banchory ! BINGO !

I`m of the opinion that Maggie Mitchell`s son Frederick Brewster (1901 census) is the  Frederick Skene on Mina`s  marriage certificate. This as Maggie Mitchell married a William Skene.

Incidentally, William Skene was born in Culsalmond, where Charles John McIntosh Hay was married for the 1st time.   It seems that William had later lived in Premnay at the same time as Maggie and Mina.

I have since found Mina in the 1911 census, for  Bognor Regis, Surrey. Whereby she is a cook in the service of a retired Lt Colonel. There was tale she had been cook for Sir Henry Campbell Bannerman, but this may just be a tall tale.

My mission now is to try and trace Ann Thomson - Mina`s mother.

Thanks again.

Offline Morvenwalker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 07 January 20 20:38 GMT (UK) »
The Monaltrie hotel in Ballater  which is now flats has  been called The Invercauld in the past. It is refererred to in various local publications but with scant information. David Jamieson and Stewart Wilson refer to it on page 33 in 'Old Deeside Ways ' I think it may have started life as the Monaltrie, had its name changed to the Invercauld and back to the Monaltrie.
 The hotel sits right on the river beside the bridge to the South Deeside Road. It was a sizeable establishment.
I think you have made progress since I started this post but wont delete it as you may find it useful. I hope it doesn't appear twice. I don't post very often and always seem to have technical problems.