Author Topic: Regards to Entry Book of Passports at The National Archives  (Read 2769 times)

Offline kwaussie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Regards to Entry Book of Passports at The National Archives
« on: Thursday 09 January 20 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

I am unsure which board to ask this question on so I thought I'd ask here first.

I live in Australia and I was looking on the British National Archives website for the 'Entry Book of Passports issues Nos.3201-10282' and I was wondering if someone would be able (if possible) to look up a passport that was issued in 1859. I know passports weren't necessary during that time but I was hoping that there might be additional information that will help in my research. I have all of the details but I thought I'd ask first which particular board I need to post it on as there's so many.
Thank you!
Smith - Opononi, Hokianga; Te Kopuru, Dargaville, Northern Wairoa; Paeroa & Te Aroha, Waikato, NZ.
Werahiko - Hokianga, NZ
Campbell - Edmonston, Longford, Ireland; Onehunga; Aratapu, Northern Wairoa, NZ
Twamley/Twambley - Wicklow, Ireland; Onehunga, Auckland; Drury, South Auckland.

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Regards to Entry Book of Passports at The National Archives
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 January 20 07:20 GMT (UK) »
Are you interested in this particular set of records as you would like to know where your person was going to go?

I can't help with the National Archives but Find My Past has an Index To Register Of Passport Applications 1851-1903.  This gives a name, passport number and date of application.

Would you like me to have a look and see if she/he is listed in this index?  If so I would need the name.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline kwaussie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 January 20 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi there Girl Guide,

Thank you very much for your offer - I did find the person I was looking for on Find My Past and but it only had their name, number of the passport, and the date of the passport. I understand that this might be all the available information there is on this particular individual - if so it doesn't help too much because I was hoping that it might shed some more light on him. I guess it probably isn't worth pursuing it anymore. What would you suggest?
Thank you very much for your help. 
Smith - Opononi, Hokianga; Te Kopuru, Dargaville, Northern Wairoa; Paeroa & Te Aroha, Waikato, NZ.
Werahiko - Hokianga, NZ

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 January 20 12:29 GMT (UK) »
I was looking on the British National Archives website for the 'Entry Book of Passports issues Nos.3201-10282' and I was wondering if someone would be able (if possible) to look up a passport that was issued in 1859.

Is this what you're looking at?
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C253198

I'm afraid you can't look up a passport. These records available at TNA are simply entry-books - that is, registers of passports applied for. They are in date order (not alphabetical order), and they simply give the date issued, the applicant's name and the number of the passport issued. That's all.

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 January 20 12:39 GMT (UK) »
It seems from Bookbox's reply that you won't get any further down this avenue.

What are you trying to find out about this person?  If you would like to share his name I'm sure Rootschatters will do their best to help.  :D

Offline kwaussie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 January 20 12:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bookbox,

Yes, that is correct, that is the one.

Oh, I see, so that's all there is available - it doesn't really help out too much, which is a shame, I thought it may lead onto something else that contained further information. That's all good, at least I know that I can't follow that lead.

Thank you very much to you all for your help on that one - I've never had to search for a passport issued before, but now I know and unless there's comments in the register I can't really get too much out of them.

But thank you very much to you all that have helped me out in this query, I really appreciate it, thank you!
Werahiko - Hokianga, NZ

Offline kwaussie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 January 20 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Girl Guide, yes, you're very right - thank you!

I am trying to do a search for a Dr Richard Hill Smyth, who was originally from the UK (unsure where exactly sorry).

He sailed from London to Sydney on the 'Emma Eugenia' on the 1st January 1835, arriving in Sydney 10th May 1835. He was on board the 'Emma Eugenia' with a Capt Thomas McDonnell. From there he then sailed with McDonnell to the Hokianga harbour (located north of Auckland on the west coast) mid 1835. Capt Thomas McDonnell was taking over in charge of the Horeke ship yard in the Hokianga.

Dr Richard Hill Smyth settled about a km away from McDonnell at a place called Kohukohu in the Hokianga around 1835 - he married, I believe, Kaweora, a daughter of the Ihutai chief, Wharepapa who was from the Kohukohu/Mangamuka area. They had a couple of children together, one of whom was Rihari Mete, born 1840.

Dr Smyth was only in the Hokianga for around 12 years from what I have found, then he went to Auckland, and from there in January 1850 he went to Honolulu on the brig 'Fanny'. He stayed in Honolulu and practiced medicine until 1862 when finally he went back to the UK. Dr Smyth had had a stroke in 1860 so I am wondering if that is why he returned back to UK due to his health.

Dr Smyth sailed back to the UK via Hong Kong on the ship 'Speedwell', under Captain Holdsworth. They left Honolulu 9 Oct 1862, and arrived in London 13 May 1863. I haven't seen a passenger list of his arrival back to London but I was kindly given the ships departure and arrival time in the UK, so I am only presuming that he arrived back in the UK.

I am trying to piece together my mums Smith side, whose family was from the Hokianga, and I am trying to see if we link up with this Dr Smyth, but I would like to know more about his origins in the UK and where he ended up after he went back.

That is all I know on Dr Richard Hill Smyth and if anyone is able to help out in anyway that would be wonderful.

Thank you very much Girl Guide!
Werahiko - Hokianga, NZ

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 10 January 20 13:49 GMT (UK) »
Can I just verify the surname spelling?  Is it SMYTH OR SMITH.  If it is Smith then it will be really difficult to trace him.

I am assuming that HILL is his second christian name unless is it meant to be a double barrelled surname, i.e. HILL-SMYTH.

Have you ever found any record of his marriage to Kaweora?  It may give a clue to his age if nothing else.

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 10 January 20 14:04 GMT (UK) »
There is a Richard Hill Smith of 23 Mornington Road St Pancras London buried on 16 November 1868 listed on Ancestry. I think it’s Highgate Cemetery but I am not really sure.

Richard Hill Smith baptised 29 August 1808 Orsett Essex parents Thomasand Charlotte Smith.

The 1851 census shows Thomas and Charlotte Smith living at 23 Mornington Road St Pancras. Thomas aged 78 born Grove Essex and Charlotte 75 born London.