Author Topic: COMPLETED - Thank you :) Surname change by deed poll, London Gazette  (Read 1007 times)

Offline hilbury

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Sawyer, Day, Richardson, Blake
    • View Profile
COMPLETED - Thank you :) Surname change by deed poll, London Gazette
« on: Friday 10 January 20 10:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello Everyone

I have a lady on the 1939 register living in St Pancras; May Ethel KENT b.12 May 1923. Her surname was later changed to FULLER, with the note: PER LON GAZ APA Date: 15/12/44. I had thought that this is in reference to a name change by deed poll which was announced in the London Gazette.

May had a long term relationship, children with and later married Henry James FULLER (I have their marriage cert from 1979). May used the Fuller surname from as early as 1944 for her rations ID, and later for a drivers license and passport.

I have searched the London Gazette online for an entry of change of name by Deed Poll, but can't locate it. I've used the website search engine with loads of different combinations of words with no helpful results. I also downloaded and scrolled through the 15 Dec 1944 issue page by page without success.

Does anyone know if I'm barking up the wrong tree here, please?
I thought that she would need proof that she had changed her surname legally, for the 1939 register correction, so if it's not The London Gazette, what could it be?

Thank you in advance, any advise much appreciated
Hilary
Alworthy, Blake, Burt, Clulow, Cooper, Davies, Day, De Hove/Van Hove, Farrell, Groves, Jenkins, Johnson, Jupp, Lake, Nockles, Richardson, Sawyer, Smith, Stubbings, Williamson

<br />Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Surname change by deed poll, London Gazette
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 January 20 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Under the laws of England & Wales, a person has the right to call themselves anything they like ;D
Unless it's for the purposes of fraud or deception.

A Deed Poll wasn't (and isn't) necessary.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline hilbury

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Sawyer, Day, Richardson, Blake
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 January 20 10:46 GMT (UK) »
Under the laws of England & Wales, a person has the right to call themselves anything they like ;D
Unless it's for the purposes of fraud or deception.

A Deed Poll wasn't (and isn't) necessary.

Thanks for that KGarrad

Still have the question on what "PER LON GAZ APA Date: 15/12/44" means.
If anyone knows please?
Hilary
Alworthy, Blake, Burt, Clulow, Cooper, Davies, Day, De Hove/Van Hove, Farrell, Groves, Jenkins, Johnson, Jupp, Lake, Nockles, Richardson, Sawyer, Smith, Stubbings, Williamson

<br />Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 January 20 11:03 GMT (UK) »
Still have the question on what "PER LON GAZ APA Date: 15/12/44" means.

APA would be the district code relevant when the change was made. APA was the code for Paddington Metropolitan Borough. https://www.findmypast.co.uk/articles/1939-register-enumeration-districts

It's perhaps possible that the date refers to the time when the change was noted on her record and not when it (apparently) appeared in the London Gazette?
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 January 20 11:09 GMT (UK) »
Is the date 15/12/44 pointing to the date that the change was made to the register entry?  Perhaps the Gazette notice was earlier  :) perhaps search earlier issues of the Gazette...

Red post,  similar thoughts ...  :)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 January 20 11:17 GMT (UK) »
I have searched the London Gazette online for an entry of change of name by Deed Poll, but can't locate it. I've used the website search engine with loads of different combinations of words with no helpful results. I also downloaded and scrolled through the 15 Dec 1944 issue page by page without success.

Which website were you using, as, so far, I can only see a 'supplement' to December 15th, not the actual December 15th.  (But I have never looked there before, so am probably just in completely the wrong place)

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 January 20 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Just out of interest, I have attempted to find someone who changed their name by deed poll in The Gazette, and then looked to see if I could find them in 1939, and see if the name change was recorded, and when etc.

e.g. Nathan Auvrach becomes Nathan Ashley.  Nothing recorded for a name change  - unless  found the wrong Nathan.

Will keep on trying, but too many common names, and no indication of how old the person was etc. Need a distinct name becoming another distinctive name.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 10 January 20 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Found an entry of deed poll name change in November 1944 Gazette, recorded as 3.3.45 Lon Gaz on 1939.

Found another one that is same date for Gazette and entry amendment.

Added:
The November 1944 recorded as 3.3.45 was also announced in September 1944, with a slight difference to first 2 names.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 10 January 20 12:34 GMT (UK) »
I have been looking in the Index of the London Gazette, and there in the Index, Volume IV of 1944 is a name change involving Kent M. E. on page 5303.

This page does not appear in Ancestry collection, which I had been using,  so will try on Gazette collection.

Added:
BINGO.
May Ethel Kent 140 Gloucester Terrace .....

from
 The London Gazette
Publication date:17 November 1944 Issue:36800 Page:5303