Author Topic: robertsons / macphersons of breakish strath  (Read 4090 times)

Offline breakish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
robertsons / macphersons of breakish strath
« on: Saturday 20 August 05 17:20 BST (UK) »
trying to trace relatives and further info on john macpherson who was shown to live at 11 lower breakish, breakish parish of strath in 1871 cencus and was married to marion robertson, marion died in 1874, the family by the 1881 cencus have moved to 8 lower breakish, john and marion had various children including donald, catherine, faraquar and annie, catherine i think was blind, john died in 1901 at the right old age of 87 years, any help would be appreciated, also any history of how the macphersons settled on skye, was it via the red parson?

Offline rory mac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: robertsons / macphersons of breakish strath
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 November 05 11:12 GMT (UK) »
I think I can help regarding the arrival of "Macphersons" in
Skye.  The best account I am aware of is an article by Alan G Macpherson in the 1971 (No. 23) issue of the Clan Macpherson Association Journal, "Creag Dubh".  The title is "The Clan of the Red Parson -- A Second Clan Macpherson".  Can't remember the URL but use " Argyll 'Red Parson' " in your search engine and you should find it. Alan G is the Clan Genealogist and an academic so his research and writings are authoritative. 
Cheers
Rod McPherson
Bolton, Dillon, Eagle, Flood, L'Estrange, Landers & Walpole in Ireland.  Mac/McPherson in Renfrew & Argyll.  Summers in Somerset

Offline breakish

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 November 05 17:33 GMT (UK) »
rod, i actually got in touch with the eminent alan g macpherson and i am now fully briefed " on the little clan from skye" there is no actual link with the badenoch macphersons until the 18th century ( through marriage) via malcolm piobar

Offline Oran

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 December 05 14:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello Breakish,

I noted you asked about the John Mcpherson in my family tree, as your John has the same birth year.

I have recently paid for a search for my John Mcpherson unfortunatley my John Mcpherson could not be found, and may have migrated, but I thought this information might be of use to you?

"A couple of times I thought I had found him - especially a John Mcpherson and wife who were living in Dunoon when the 1881 census was held.
This John Mcpherson was 58 which is pretty near the age of 'your' John would have been, and he was born in Sleat! I thought I had 'nailed' him, but when I traced the death of this man, he turned out to have the wrong parents."

I straight away thought of you, and hope it is of use and worth checking out, incidentally he did'nt name the parents of John Mcpherson on the death entry.  ;)