Author Topic: Donald McMillan Death at Dunkirk  (Read 2385 times)

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Francis McNab 1874 - 1932
    • View Profile
Re: Donald McMillan Death at Dunkirk
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 12 January 20 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Imber,

Becoming much more doubtful - nearly certain, this is not my "Donald"... hmmm... where to start from now!  back to the family story, cos there may be a variation of name...might have to look for a Donald STewart !!!!!
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 13 January 20 07:19 GMT (UK) »
Making sure you have the correct name is the best plan. However,you mentioned travellers. I noticed that Furnace was a popular spot for that community and that McMillan was a known traveller name. Did you check variations such as MacMillan?

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 13 January 20 07:35 GMT (UK) »
Yes Imber - getting correct surname is priority eh?  duhhhhhhh…. Will have to make sure about that - Forgot to also ask for spelling variations... The one in Argyll - being 1922, is "order cert" only.... so maybe need to do utmost to verify surname details first with remaining family.  Thanks a lot for your input.  Was unaware of Furnace being traveller spot too... Rootschatters always contribute a wealth of knowledge.!
McNab, Kenney, Johnstone, Carrigan, (Cargan, Kirgan, Corrigan), Toll, Tracey, McNulty,  Reilly, Maguire, Loughlin, Banks, McGonagle, Forsyth, McDonald, Michael,  Kennedy, Bagnell, Cronan, Dunleavy, McMullan. -  Glasgow, Ireland, British Columbia Canada, Manchester New Hampshire USA.

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 13 January 20 10:02 GMT (UK) »
Yes, that 1922 record will not be available to view online yet under the 100 years rule. You might find the 1921 Scottish census helpful when that is released in 2021.

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 14 January 20 12:42 GMT (UK) »
The Highland Division were still fighting at St Valery after the Dunkirk evacuation. They suffered very heavy casualties & finally surrendered to Rommel when they ran out of ammunition.

https://51hd.co.uk/history/valery_1940

Skoosh.

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 28 January 20 17:29 GMT (UK) »
I managed to check out that Donald McMillan born 1922 Inveraray. His father was Allan McMillan, a seaman. Mother was Jean Agnes Smith. They married in 1921 in Partick. I also noticed a Donald Stewart McMillan, also 1922, born in Rosehearty, Aberdeenshire. Mother was Harriet McMillan, a hawker. No father named.

Imber

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 28 January 20 20:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Imber,

Early a.m. here - and too busy to take further - but your info sort of makes me more aware that the first Donald is not mine - but hey - the second one is definitely of interest - mother Harriet... there is a very strong possibility.... Haven't time to check details yet, but will do - and let you know - Can you tell me where you got the info?  Not from SCotlandspeople???  Thanks for this... Really helpful!

Offline maggbill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 29 January 20 03:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Imber,

Have chased up the Donald Stewart McMillan born 1922 (have not ordered cert - so how did you know name of mother was Harriet?).  Turns out that this can't be my Donald "dying at Dunkirk" - as the poor wee soul only lived 3 months or so, and died in Pitsligo Aberdeen 1922.  Mother named on death as Harriet McMillan (tick this box - one of mine!) - "reputed father - Donald Stewart".  Well, interesting, cos my Harriet McMillan actually married Alexander White Clark in 1918 -  however when he died in 1938 Alexander lists himself as "single" (though occupation and parents correct as per marriage to my Harriet).  When Harriet dies in 1956, her death informant is "Donald Stewart, occupier".  Well, the plot thickens... doesn't answer my original mystery - but opens another mysterious branch of the family lol!

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 29 January 20 14:12 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to hear that it wasn’t the right Donald. On the other hand, it’s encouraging that it may just be the correct family. I found all those details from Scotland’s People. Unfortunately, it’s not something that can be accessed online from home. There are a small number of SP hubs around Scotland from where it’s possible to access the full SP database in Edinburgh, including the most recent records. A payment is required for a day’s access to the system but no photographs or prints may be made of the “modern” records, notes only. I had a whole list of my own queries regarding a WW2 Gordon Highlander I’m researching to which I added your own. My own research there threw up more questions than answers which means I may have to make a return visit. If you have a couple more SP queries regarding the more recent records then I might be able to take a look if time permits.

Imber