Author Topic: Tracing living relatives in Australia  (Read 1011 times)

Offline Eve45

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tracing living relatives in Australia
« on: Sunday 12 January 20 07:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

My friend John has asked me to look for his sister, who he last saw in 2015. He wants to finalise his will and she is his only living direct relative. I know this is a sensitive area but I wonder if anyone has any suggestions? I have found her in electoral rolls, and she is recorded on John's birth certificate as previous issue of their parents. I have searched newspapers, both Trove and paid subscription services, and I have Googled all variations of her name.

I have also researched the family tree for three generations back (sometimes you need to reach backwards in order to go forward!) but this has not yielded anything helpful. Interesting, but not helpful. I have searched for a death or burial at all relevant cemeteries and again in newspapers and the Ryerson Index with no result, so we are assuming she is still around. I plan to search the current electoral roll in the next few days at the AEC office.

There is a person of her name on Facebook, living in the right city, but she has not posted anything since 2014 - I have sent a message but suspect she is no longer active there. I don't want to name names but would like to know if anyone has been in a similar situation and can offer other avenues to follow. She was not married when John last saw her - she was in her late 50s then and would be about 63 or 64 now. He doubts whether she would have married since, although the reason they have not been in touch was a disagreement about her then partner, so who knows.

Thank you, lovely and clever people...

Offline Jennaya

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing living relatives in Australia
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 January 20 07:14 GMT (UK) »
Has John tried writing to her care of her last known address? Was she working at the time? Would contacting her via her workplace be a possibility?

Regards
Jennaya

Offline Liza115

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 January 20 07:16 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried looking in the phone book in the community where she was last found on the electoral roll? Some people still have landlines and listings in the phone book.
Palfrey - Radnorshire, Wales
Odell - Ontario, Canada
Gilmour - Newton Mearns, Renfrewshire, Scotland
Hare - Ipswich, Suffolk, England and Limerick, Ireland
Price - Antrim, Down, (now Northern) Ireland
Freeman - Waterford and Tramore, Ireland
Taylor - Taunton, Somerset, England
Helyar - Clifton, Bristol, England

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 January 20 07:39 GMT (UK) »
Your friend can finalise his will simply by nominating his sister as his sole beneficiary.  I am sure he should seek legal advice.  If he is resident in NSW I am confident that advice could likely note that a valid will  does not need to provide any physical address of any beneficiary. Likely that advice could explain to write "my older sister,   yyyyy "  where those yyyyy are the given names of his sister as per his own birth certificate. Likely also it may note that the will  does not need to include her surname, as he has given his lawful relationship to her. That relationship clearly identifies her. He could also ask a trusted friend to be his exec  of his deceased estate and for that friend to accompany him to the appointment for the discussion about that will. 

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Eve45

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 January 20 08:13 GMT (UK) »
I knew Rootschatters would have some ideas! Thank you all...

majm - Thanks for your legal tips. John and his sister were born and have lived in Victoria (to the best of his knowledge anyway, regarding his sister) all their lives, but it seems logical that the legal situation would be similar to NSW. I will pass your knowledge on to John and see if that will set his mind at rest. He has a few minor health issues and he gets a bit anxious.

Liza115 and Jennaya - I did look in the WhitePages online. There are a few people of the same surname and initials in the area where we know she last lived - it's a fairly common surname. I'll ask John's permission to write to them on his behalf, and also if he remembers her last address. He only told me the suburb name but he might remember more if I ask him specifically. He didn't say that she had a job but one of his concerns about her partner was that he did not work, and John was worried that he was using her for money and a place to live, so she most likely had some means of support. Thank you, I hadn't thought of that.

Thank you all so much, I really appreciate it and your suggestions have opened up some more options to try. Rootschatters are so good!

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 January 20 11:47 GMT (UK) »
I'm not a legal expert, especially not when it comes to Australia, but I do think John needs legal advice on this to cover various scenarios. For example, he might be happy for his sister to inherit from him, but if she had already died, would he want to specify another beneficiary?
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Eve45

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 January 20 00:48 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, that's a good question - another one to ask John. I will be seeing him later today and I have quite a few new questions for him now... thanks again for your interest.

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 January 20 09:45 GMT (UK) »
If she is only 63 or 64 she won't be eligible for an age pension.
But she may have had a Seniors Card issued.

OR she may have applied for Newstart - I think that's the name - which older people are often given on the basis that they 'work' a set number of days per week in a voluntary position.
Centrelink of course won't tell you or your friend, but maybe he could get legal advice on how to get this information ???

His legal advisor who is making out his will should be able to advise him on these things ???

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline Eve45

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 15 January 20 09:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Dawn - more good thoughts about different avenues to try. I agree with everyone who has said that John needs legal advice when it comes to his will. He wasn't in the mood for chat when I saw him last (it depends on how his health is) so I still have questions and suggestions. I really appreciate everyone's thoughts on this - thank you all.