Author Topic: Marriage: Florence Batten (widow) and James Cameron between 1905 and 1910 Durban  (Read 620 times)

Offline MJBatten

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello,

I am trying to find a marriage between my great great grandmother, Florence Ada Batten and her second husband, James (Jim) Cameron. Her first husband (my gg grandfather) Joseph Henry Batten died in a diving accident in 1902 building the Durban Harbour. I have the full estate file and she has written letters up until 1905 as Batten and then in 1910 she moved to Canada but now as Mrs Florence Ada Cameron. They must have married within those five years. Is there anyway of finding a record of their marriage. I have tried Family Search. What I do know is that she was born in 1868 in Wales and I know all of her past and ancestry. However, from the 1910 Canadian census and from then on she said she was born in 1875/8. So she may have married a younger man. I want to try and figure out this mystery period in her life. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

MJ

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage: Florence Batten (widow) and James Cameron between 1905 and 1910 Durban
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 January 20 08:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi I am confused. In this post you say Florence was married to a Batten and then married a Cameron. Yet in this post you state her name is Davies.

Hi All,I wonder if any of you can help me. I recently found a letter from my gg grandmother (Florence Ada Batten - nee Davies) dated 1913. She mentions her new husband (James Cameron's) sister and brother-in-law have a large chemist shop in Pietermaritzburg. She also says the brother-in-law is a councillor of the city. I wondered if there was any way of tracing this person. Is there a record/list of old chemists or city councillors from 1913.

Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline MJBatten

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage: Florence Batten (widow) and James Cameron between 1905 and 1910 Durban
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 January 20 08:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pampoen,

Yes, she was born Davies but she would have been Batten when she married James Cameron as her husband, Joseph Batten died in 1902 making her a widow.

She confused me too as when she finally moved to San Francisco in 1914 she marries another man. Quite the traveller and elusive gg grandmother I hade  :D

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 January 20 14:01 GMT (UK) »
This is the only chemist I can find for Pietermaritzburg about that time but am unsure if Turner was a councillor. Without any names it is difficult. Cannot post the picture for some reason.
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline MJBatten

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 January 20 21:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for this. Are you able to email the picture? Does it have more info on it. I sent you a private message with my email address.