Author Topic: Finding a pub that is in brigstock  (Read 1666 times)

Offline Luke Elmore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Finding a pub that is in brigstock
« on: Sunday 12 January 20 23:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi I was looking at my ancestor recode 1911 Benjamin Elmore and he own a pub called fox and hound I was wondering if it still there thanks Luke

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: Finding a pub that is in brigstock
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 January 20 00:06 GMT (UK) »
I'm not local so don't really know ... however this book seems to imply it burned down, though doesn't say when. "A History of Hostelries in Northamptonshire" by Peter Hill.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01oun/

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 January 20 00:08 GMT (UK) »
You will need to narrow it down - I expect “Fox and Hound/s” would be one of the more common pub names in England.

On the 1911 census have a look at page one of the census book. This will give a description of the enumerator’s route and should help you work out whereabouts in ‘Bridgstock’ the pub was located.

Another thing you can do, is have a look at your ancestor’s ‘neighbours’ in the 1911 census. Go up and down the street making a list of the addresses in order. Have a current map open and follow the route on the map too. You are likely to eventually come to a street or landmark that still exists today, and you should get an idea of whereabouts the pub is or was.

You can do similar with NLS side by side maps:
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=5&lat=56.0000&lon=-4.0000&layers=1&right=BingHyb

I have no idea where ‘Bridgstock’ is or I would have a look for you. You may like to check if the spelling is correct?

Offline Luke Elmore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 January 20 00:26 GMT (UK) »
I have checked the neighbours and it say they are near a bridge street and white hall farm but I can’t really read the street name properly

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 January 20 00:45 GMT (UK) »
1901 census Benjamin is at the Fox and Hounds Bridge St Brigstock Thrapston Northamptonshire
He appears at this address in 1910 and 1914 Northamptonshire directories under Beer retailers
The pub burned down in 1938
If you put "History of Fox and Hounds Bridge St Brigstock Northamptonshire" into a search engine  you should get a picture of the old pub - Brigstock was connected with the Woodland Pytchley Hunt

Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Luke Elmore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 January 20 01:19 GMT (UK) »
It says it burned down in 1938 but I can’t see the picture of it does anyone have the book and can send me the picture of the pub thanks Luke

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 January 20 02:53 GMT (UK) »
I put as I previously posted into google and the picture came up immediately

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline Luke Elmore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 January 20 02:58 GMT (UK) »
What really what does the picture look like is it the cover of the book

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 January 20 03:21 GMT (UK) »
It s a black and white picture of Bridge St  street and underneath it tells exactly where the Fox and Hounds is

Suz