Author Topic: Looking for confirmation for Joseph German: Coates / Whittlesey  (Read 557 times)

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • MENE INTUS ET IN CUTE NOVISTI
    • View Profile
Looking for confirmation for Joseph German: Coates / Whittlesey
« on: Monday 13 January 20 11:17 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to fill some gaps in the parentage / early history of Joseph German. He was said to have been born around 1872 to mother Martha German. There is a baptismal transcript on familysearch dated January 3rd 1875 at Coates, Cambridgeshire naming mother Martha German and father Joseph Anker.
Martha married Thomas Grooms (Whittlesea 3b 1284 Dec 1874).
Joseph is listed in the 1881 census as Grooms (aged 9 years) Birth place North Garton End, Peterborough and in the 1891 census as Grooms (aged 19 years) Birth place Coates.
He married Rosetta Bone at All Saints Peterborough on June 3rd 1895 but had reverted back to the name Joseph German. The space for his father's name was left blank. Same name in the 1901 census.

I have been unable to find a reference to a Joseph German / Anker / Grooms in the FreeBMD indexes or the GRO indexes for 1872 to match. (I do realise that birth registrations were not made compulsory until 1875)

The familysearch is only a transcription. Are the actual baptismal parish records available anywhere for inspection.

Many thanks Alan
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley
Derby: Naylor, Ball, Haywood
Buckinghamshire: Cook
London: Craxford, Lane Crauford
Tyneside: Nessworthy, Simpson

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for confirmation for Joseph German: Coates / Whittlesey
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 January 20 13:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I can't see the original of the christenings either but there is an additional person also baptised at Coates on that date.
Alice Ann German 3.1.1875 age 5 years d of Martha German and Thomas Bates.Age 5 years

Alice Ann is down as a sister of Martha on the 1871 census at Coates.
Isaac German 50 ag lab ,wife Susan 44 ag lab
Martha 23 agl lab
Jane 14 ag lab
Fanny 13 ag lab
Sarah 10
Isaac 8
Hannah 6
Alice 1
James 0

Alice Ann German is registered at Whittlesey Dec 1869 no maiden name 3B 595.
This might suggest the greater likelihood of Joseph being registered as

Joseph Anker Mar qtr 1873 Whittlesey 3B 654.

After all he may have been born in December and registered in January.There is no maiden name for his mother

Alice AnnGerman  seems to have married Charles Bruce at Whittlesey Dec 1898.

ps I've only seen a transcript for Martha's marriage 25.12.1874 at Coates but father given as Issac .Thomas Grooms son of John Grooms. Wit John and Jane German.
Martha age 27 and Thomas 25

I'd assume the original records are at Cambridgeshire archives. Coates comes under the parish of Whittlesey.

Ciderdrinker

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 January 20 14:06 GMT (UK) »
Thank you

Much to ponder.

Perhaps to add to the confusion the GRO has Joseph Anker born Whittlesey 3b 654 (JFM 1873) with MMN Papworth. This would associate with the marriage of  Abraham Anker and Eliza Papworth in Whittlesey in 1864. If the putative father of Joseph German is Joseph Anker, this would be Abraham's younger brother!

I'll keep staggering on!

Cheers Alan

Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley

Offline magslote

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 January 20 06:51 GMT (UK) »
coates p/rs both on 3rd jan 1875 alice ann dau thomas bates,of duncombes corner?, lab,and martha german, illegitimate age 5years.
also same date, joseph, son of joseph anker, of eastrea, and supposed son of martha, of coates illegitimate age 3years.
Margaret.

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 January 20 08:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Margaret.

There is a photograph of "The bridge at Duncombe Corner towards the end of the article from British Walks:

Walk #913: Hereward Way: Peterborough to March

Just for confirmation I guess "supposed son of Martha" doesn't give her surname (either as Anker or German)

Cheers Alan

Offline magslote

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 January 20 09:07 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, no mention of names,Margaret.