Author Topic: Trace maternal grandmother  (Read 1593 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Trace maternal grandmother
« Reply #9 on: Monday 13 January 20 22:49 GMT (UK) »
It's Loke456 who needs to look, not me or Gadget. We're just trying to help Loke456 get to the bottom of the matter.

That one certainly looks promising.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline raonull4

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 13 January 20 22:53 GMT (UK) »
ok no problem

Offline Loke456

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 15 January 20 15:06 GMT (UK) »
New to Rootschat so please excuse if I am not following procedures.
Gadget, the lady in the photo bears some resemblance to the  family, can you give more details. Or can I post my email address here and we can communicate outside RootsChat.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 15 January 20 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Someone else has told me that and it wasn't the same person. My grandmother was born, lived and died  in Denbighshire. Her dates were 1878-1949.

You shouldn't post your e-mail.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Loke456

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 15 January 20 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget
Thanks for your reply, I misunderstood the reason for your photo. Another dead end, but the lady from Tradeston mentioned in the thread is a possibility.
On the question of adoption practices around 1900, does anyone know how it was done?. I know thee was no official adoption agency - did people advertise babies (as I have seen in the newspapers in Newfoundland in the 1970s), were there agents who fixed it, or was it all done by word of mouth? Would be interesting to know.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 15 January 20 16:48 GMT (UK) »

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 15 January 20 19:00 GMT (UK) »
The article is interesting, but just in case anyone is tempted to follow it up, I am not certain that the Chancery Court in Scotland dealt with wardship, or indeed that wardship existed at all in Scots Law, so it would be advisable to check that before looking for documents that are not going to exist :)

Wardship is not mentioned in http://www.scotland-judiciary.org.uk/29/0/Glossary/a#W
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 15 January 20 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget
Thanks for your reply, I misunderstood the reason for your photo.

Hi Loke - When you refer to my photo, are you referring to my avatar that is under my name  or the snip of the birth entry in my reply#3?

I've just noticed that none of the other contributors on this thread have an avatar so you might have been confused about it.  If it's the birth certificate, that was from the Scotlands People site.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***