Author Topic: Thomas Gribbin, Stockport 1823  (Read 1713 times)

Offline Wodgemac

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Gribbin, Stockport 1823
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 15 January 20 19:21 GMT (UK) »
John,
There's also a Thomas Gribbin being found not guilty for larceny in 1848, of the right age, but he's in Preston!!! This is on the ancestry website. I will have a look on findmypast and purchase a months subscription.

Thanks

Richard
McGrorey, Loughrey, Briggs, Gribbin, Ferguson, Hunt(O)Connor(s), Danehy, Young, McGarrity, Doran, Jones, Vernon, Oakes, Williams, Alexander, Ross, O'Niel, McMullan, Lightbowne, Siddorn, Ryecroft, Bellowhouse, Walker, Gourley, Fagan, Havelin, Campbell, Smith, Thompson, Black, McCallum, Wilson, Loudon.

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 16 January 20 10:56 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning
Burials I can see for John Gribbin /Gibbon in the Manchester area

John Gibbon 4 Sep 1828 Bolton in the moors age 30 years
John Gibbons 9.1.1831 at Blackley late of Manchester mechanic 62 years.

So if it is one of them born 1798 or 1769.

National school admissions for  Gribbins  family all at St Martins Sunday School
John and Thomas Gribbin of German St aged 14 and 12  parent William (maybe William Oats or could be another family )Admitted 30 June 1833

R Gribbin age 8 parent Elizabeth address under the school admitted the 31 March 1833 with Catherine age 6 and Ann aged 4

Ann Gribbin 1 Sep 1837 under the school age 8 parent William
John Gribbin 1 Sep 1837 under the school age 15
Rosannah 1 Sep 1837  no age or parent
Catherine 1 Sep 1837 same

The records are all indexed as 1829 but on the original have different dates.

Ciderdrinker

Offline Wodgemac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 16 January 20 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Evening Ciderdrinker,

I'm just speculating that the John Gibbon in Bolton might be the more likely on, due to the other being a mechanic. Although Blackley does seem a more likely place he would've lived??

Whereabouts is St. Martins Sunday school?

And is William Oates registered as the Gribbins children's father?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm just trying to work out all of the information you've discovered for me

Thank you so much for that

Richard
McGrorey, Loughrey, Briggs, Gribbin, Ferguson, Hunt(O)Connor(s), Danehy, Young, McGarrity, Doran, Jones, Vernon, Oakes, Williams, Alexander, Ross, O'Niel, McMullan, Lightbowne, Siddorn, Ryecroft, Bellowhouse, Walker, Gourley, Fagan, Havelin, Campbell, Smith, Thompson, Black, McCallum, Wilson, Loudon.

Offline Wodgemac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 16 January 20 19:02 GMT (UK) »
There is also a John Gibbon dying in Stretford in 1824 with a wife called Elizabeth Gibbon?? But no age with the record

Offline Wodgemac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 16 January 20 20:41 GMT (UK) »
John,

Where are they living as Oates in the 1841 census?

Offline Wodgemac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 16 January 20 21:04 GMT (UK) »
In the 1851 census with Thomas living as a licensed victualler? in Manchester. There is an Elizabeth Oates aged 25 living with them as a domestic servant??

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 17 January 20 11:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello
The children's father on the Sunday School records is given as William no surname.
I'm assuming that St Martin's Sunday school must be some place in connection with St Martin's Ancoats.
I don't know the area well enough to know.
It comes under National School Admission Registers & Log-Books 1870-1914 on FindMyPast so they must have included registers from an  earlier school which was then made into a National School once the right legislation came in. The volume is 1829 -1851 for St Martin's Sunday School and gives no idea of location beyond the Manchester bit.
Strangely no entries for the younger Oats children.

In 1841 Thomas is living at German St
William Oates is paying 3 shillings a week rent for the house from  a James Wilson there in 1833.

Ciderdrinker

Offline Wodgemac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 17 January 20 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again for all your hard work, all the info is really helpful. But how did you come up with the link to the Oates family?

There are a few people on ancestry who are researching the same family, that have John Gribbins  (Thomas's father) wife as Elizabeth Vernon?

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 18 January 20 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Yes I have seen the trees.
I started with the idea that John and Thomas are quite conman names and that finding the family together before Thomas's marriage on the census in 1841 would be a major help.
So I wanted a first name that would stick out.
So Thomas married in Manchester ,if he was there ,so might be his sisters and brothers and if I could find one with an unusual first name it would be easier to track the family on the census.
     I looked for all Gribbons/Gibbons with a father John who was a weaver married c 1840's.
That led me to a Rosanna who married and because I knew her husband i could check her on the 1851 census and latter to see if she too was born in Stockport.

Rosanna was on  the 1861 census born in Stockport  and with her are William and Elizabeth Oates 68 and 62.
Rosanna is described as their daughter .As we know that her maiden name was Gribbon ,she must either be an illegitimate daughter or a step daughter.

That is where the trees get to.

Ancestry allow you to click on the name of a person and it gives suggestions.
Click Elizabeth and it gives a baptism as Elizabeth Spencer  Vernon in Manchester 1799 which matches vaguely with her date and place of birth on the census as Elizabeth Oates.
Now  Eliza S Vernan born 1799 Manchester is working in Fairfield Accedemy as a mistress fo the robes in 1851 and is single.
But we look at the 1851 census for William and Elizabeth Oates and we can see them in Jersey St with the Gribben children.
So Elizabeth Oates in 1851 is 55 not 52 but she is born Ashton under lyme.It looks like the same woman  as the 1861 .(Even if it where 2 women then the first Mrs Oates must be Rosanna 's mother rather than the second and must have been a Mrs Gribbins ).Anyway  she isn't the Eliza /Elizabeth S Vernon  who was born in 1799 and is single at the same time elsewhere in Manchester.

I then looked for a marriage William Oates and an Elizabeth before 1851 and found only one at Eccles in 1831 to an Elizabeth Gibbon.

Does that explain it ?

Ciderdrinker