Author Topic: Looking for James BIRCHALL, arrived Quebec 1927  (Read 2259 times)

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Looking for James BIRCHALL, arrived Quebec 1927
« on: Monday 13 January 20 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Am trying to find out what happened to James Birchall, b. Jun Q 1885, Burnley, Lancashire, the son of Joseph Birchall and Lucetta Smith.  He married Ethel Dean and she died in Mar Q 1925, Burnley.  He then married my relative Louisa Newton Cooper in 1926. 
In 1927 I found him on a passenger list, from Liverpool to Quebec (Sep 3, landed Sep 8).  He is listed as a groundsman, 42, paid his own way, wife Louisa Birchall, 95 Manchester Rd., Burnley.
This is the last I can find of him.  I was not able to find him on any passenger lists returning to the UK and his wife died in Fulham, London in 1959, age 90.  She is listed as widow of James Birchall, a golf club groundsman.  I have no evidence that Louisa joined him in Canada - she is with her sister on the 1939 Register. 
Any information on James after 1927 would be appreciated!

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for James BIRCHALL, arrived Quebec 1927
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 January 20 20:31 GMT (UK) »
she is with her sister on the 1939 Register.

Is she a widow or married?

I found him on a passenger list, from Liverpool to Quebec (Sep 3, landed Sep 8).  He is listed as a groundsman, 42, paid his own way, wife Louisa Birchall,

That infers wife was on the passenger list too?  If so she must have returned or am I reading it wrong and he travelled on his own  :-\
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 January 20 21:02 GMT (UK) »
she is with her sister on the 1939 Register.

Is she a widow or married?

I found him on a passenger list, from Liverpool to Quebec (Sep 3, landed Sep 8).  He is listed as a groundsman, 42, paid his own way, wife Louisa Birchall,

That infers wife was on the passenger list too?  If so she must have returned or am I reading it wrong and he travelled on his own  :-\

Thank you for your response, Millepede! On the passenger list she is listed as his relative in England, back in Burnley.  She is listed as Married.  I actually thought it was W for widowed and when I realized it was a M, I had to find James!
I did find a James of the same age and a golf clubhouse manager in Ohio in 1940. I was very excited until I found Naturalization and a passport application that ruled him out - very disappointed, I couldn’t believer there’d be two James Birchalls b in England, same age, and such similar occupations!

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 January 20 21:04 GMT (UK) »
On the passenger list it looks like James is going to a job in Montreal, but is so blacked out, I can’t read the rest of it.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 January 20 22:32 GMT (UK) »
He married Ethel Dean and she died in Mar Q 1925, Burnley. 

Ethel's burial at Burnley Cemetery, 21 March 1925. Age 39.
Residence 4 Windle Court 
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSJW-Z1P1?i=696&cat=1017697

Graves Register shows that A873 was purchased by William Dean in 1886. Five burials?
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSJW-K9C8-6?i=574&cat=1017697

For what it's worth(!)
Lovell's Montreal Directory 1929-1930
Only three Birchalls, including James Birchall, auditor, apt 21 7270 Sherbrooke W.
Seems unlikely, but anyway he wasn't listed the previous year.

The 1930-31 directory has another James
Jas Birchall, caretaker, apt 3391 Evelyn Verdun

Both James still listed for the next year or two, which is as far as I looked.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 January 20 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Was his birth registered as Burchell?
BURCHELL, JAMES       
Mother's Maiden Surname: SMITH 
GRO Reference: 1885  J Quarter in THE BURNLEY UNION  Volume 08E  Page 176

Is this him?
Burnley Express, 3 November 1915
(best guess from free ocr text)
PRIVATE J. BIRCHALL. Pve. James Birchall (18874), of the 1st East Lancashire Regiment, has lost his left eye as a direct result of being gassed. He has been in hospital from July 6th, and is still in hospital...Now is in the Edinburgh War Hospital.... his wife has now learned that has had the left eye removed ...

That chap is in the new WW1 pension records via ancestry, I don't have access to the images on fold3 - James Birchall, b. 1886, residence Burnley. Disability. Discharge date 15/03/1919

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 January 20 00:41 GMT (UK) »
He married Ethel Dean and she died in Mar Q 1925, Burnley. 

Ethel's burial at Burnley Cemetery, 21 March 1925. Age 39.
Residence 4 Windle Court 
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSJW-Z1P1?i=696&cat=1017697

Graves Register shows that A873 was purchased by William Dean in 1886. Five burials?
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSJW-K9C8-6?i=574&cat=1017697

For what it's worth(!)
Lovell's Montreal Directory 1929-1930
Only three Birchalls, including James Birchall, auditor, apt 21 7270 Sherbrooke W.
Seems unlikely, but anyway he wasn't listed the previous year.

The 1930-31 directory has another James
Jas Birchall, caretaker, apt 3391 Evelyn Verdun

Both James still listed for the next year or two, which is as far as I looked.

The Verdun listing seems more likely.  I can see where he might have gone from a groundsman to a caretaker.
I don't know much about Ethel, just that she had died the year before he married Louisa Newton Cooper, so they were both widowed.  He and Ethel had three daughters: Bertha, Doris, and Eva (1906,1907, 1914) and I have only found Doris, married, and on the 1939.  The other two have eluded me so far, have found no marriages or deaths for them in England/Wales.  Thought they might have gone to Canada, perhaps on the domestic-hiring scheme they had then.
There might be electoral lists I can look at for James, in Quebec.

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 January 20 00:48 GMT (UK) »
Was his birth registered as Burchell?
BURCHELL, JAMES       
Mother's Maiden Surname: SMITH 
GRO Reference: 1885  J Quarter in THE BURNLEY UNION  Volume 08E  Page 176

Is this him?
Burnley Express, 3 November 1915
(best guess from free ocr text)
PRIVATE J. BIRCHALL. Pve. James Birchall (18874), of the 1st East Lancashire Regiment, has lost his left eye as a direct result of being gassed. He has been in hospital from July 6th, and is still in hospital...Now is in the Edinburgh War Hospital.... his wife has now learned that has had the left eye removed ...

That chap is in the new WW1 pension records via ancestry, I don't have access to the images on fold3 - James Birchall, b. 1886, residence Burnley. Disability. Discharge date 15/03/1919

Yes, the spelling of Birchall varies; it is not that widespread around Burnley.  His father was Joseph, mother Lucetta Smith.
I think the WWI soldier might be him - I tried to find military records for him, so thank you for that.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 January 20 04:33 GMT (UK) »
Eva Birchall aged 16 years, born Burnley, weaver, domestic, arrived in Canada 8 August 1930 on the Albertic- Eva was going to James Birchall 3391 Evelyn Street Verdun Montreal.  Grandmother was listed as Rosetta Smeeth, 9 Slater Btr, of Westgate  Burnley. Passage paid British Doms Emigration

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada