Author Topic: Looking for James BIRCHALL, arrived Quebec 1927  (Read 2249 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for James BIRCHALL, arrived Quebec 1927
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 16 January 20 09:21 GMT (UK) »
Eva Birchall  Campbell 1914 - 1993 and Neil Munro Campbell 1903-1979 can be found on Billion Graves buried in Nova Scotia

https://billiongraves.com/grave/Eva-Birchall-Campbell/8921647

If this link doesn't work they are in Mount Hermon Cemetery Dartmouth/Halifax Nova Scotia

Great find Cosmac. 

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 16 January 20 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Cosmac.

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 17 January 24 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Four years since I originally posted this!  I had a look at the 1931 Canadian census and found James living at 3391 Evelyn St., Verdun, Montreal region.  He is listed as the head, greens keeper (bowling green), age matches b. 1885, with housekeeper Margaret Thompson, 28, single, b. Scotland.

Two children are also listed: Nettie, age 2, and Maitland age 8 months, as his daughter and son, their mother listed as born England.  I found baptismal records for Janet Hunter Thomson Birchall (b. 1928) and Maitland Campbell Birchall, (b. 1930), and a third son, Robert Millingchamp Birchall, b. later, in Nov 1931.  All three are listed as the children of James Birchall and Margaret Thomson (all records spell it this way, except the 1931 census), listed as his wife.  I found no marriage record for James and Margaret, and it seems in 1931 they were not claiming to be married.

The children were all baptized on the same day in 1932 in Pointe-Claire, which is a good distance from Verdun.

All three children are deceased, and I found obits on line for all three.  Robert died in BC in a float plane crash on 30 Jul 1981 in Ocean Falls. Resident of Fonthill, Ontario.  He is also on Find a Grave.

The three all left Quebec, perhaps their parents did too, but they have been part of the general Anglo leaving (as I was) the province in later years as political tensions increased.

Still no luck with finding James' death or burial, but my conclusion is that he had a common law relationship with Margaret and never returned to Louisa in England.  His death may have occurred later than the Drouin church records on Anc* would record.

One odd note - the older son, Maitland Campbell was the name of James' daughter Eva's future father-in-law (Eva was b. in England, daughter of Ethel Dean and James, but on her marriage her mother is given as Margaret Dean).  Eva married Neil Campbell in 1934, and what I found on line, they may have changed their name later to Mackenzie, his mother's maiden name.

Online dbree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 17 January 24 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

No help with James but I think Margaret remarried to a Gauld  In Robert's obit from the Ottawa Citizen in 1981 it says.....loving son of Margaret Gauld.

Canada Voters List, 1972 Scarborough, Ontario 63 Billington Crescent

Birchall, Maitland, ship's officer
Gauld, Margaret, retired
Mackenzie, Janet
MacKenzie, Neil, supervisor

Canada's Voters List 1974, same address, Margaret isn't listed.

DB

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 17 January 24 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, db!  I saw that voter's list but did not click to who Margaret Gauld was. 
Very curious as to why Janet and her husband Neil changed their surname from Campbell to Mackenzie (his mother's maiden name).

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 18 January 24 15:56 GMT (UK) »
Same family?

In the 1962 Register of Voters for Glagow Scotland, among a number of people listed at the same address are….

Maitland Birchall
William Gauld
Margaret Gauld

There is no occupation given for voters but the names Maitland Birchall and Margaret Gauld appear to match up with the later 1972 Canada list posted above by dbree.

Anyway, food for thought.

PBq

We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 18 January 24 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Same family?

In the 1962 Register of Voters for Glagow Scotland, among a number of people listed at the same address are….

Maitland Birchall
William Gauld
Margaret Gauld

There is no occupation given for voters but the names Maitland Birchall and Margaret Gauld appear to match up with the later 1972 Canada list posted above by dbree.

Anyway, food for thought.

PBq

Great find, polarbear!  Not proven, but given the unusual combination of names, I would say very likely this is the same family.  Perhaps William Gauld was a native of Scotland, as Margaret was, and they decided to move back there.

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 18 January 24 19:51 GMT (UK) »
Maitland and the Gaulds also appear at the same address in 1959, 1960, and 1961.

We know the 3 children were baptized in Sept 1933. Then just a few weeks later Margaret and the children apparently travelled to Scotland….

Arrived 23 Oct 1933
Going to Main Street Dunlop Ayreshire
Margaret Birchall housewife
Janet 5
Maitland 3
Robert 2
Country of last residence Canada
Country of future residence appears to be Scotland

I don’t know when Janet married but there is a Janet Birchall age 26 who travelled to Canada in 1954. Seen in the UK and Ireland, Outward Passenger Lists. Her last address in the UK was given as 7 Kirkland Road in Dunlop Scotland. Given that Margaret and the children were going to Dunlop, I wonder if this might be her daughter? More food for thought.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 18 January 24 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Again, very useful information, polarbear.  For some reason I thought William might have been Canadian but there is no reason to assume this.  I did follow up on a William Gauld who was living in Hamilton, Ontario (where Maitland later lived) in 1931, but that fellow died unmarried in Hamilton in the late 1940’s.