Author Topic: Looking for James BIRCHALL, arrived Quebec 1927  (Read 2291 times)

Offline AnnDunlop

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for James BIRCHALL, arrived Quebec 1927
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 21 April 24 19:10 BST (UK) »
James Birchall was my grandfather.  His occupation was greens keeper at the Royal Montreal Golf Club, where he lived with his wife, Margaret Thomson (married in 1927) and his three children, Janet (Nettie), Maitland and Robert.  Janet was named after her maternal grandmother, Robert and Maitland were both named after close friends of my grandfather.  Maitland's middle name comes from a member of the Campbell family who was a second cousin to my great grandmother.

The family returned to Dunlop and James died in May of 1941 and is buried (with my grandmother and great grandmother) in the village cemetery.  His death certificate lists Margaret Thomson as his wife as well as Joseph Birchall, his father and Rosetta Birchall (nee Smith),  his mother.

Neil MacKenzie emigrated to Canada in 1952 and Janet Birchall followed in 1954.  They were married in Toronto in 1954. There was never a change of family name. Neil's mother was Annie MacKenzie (nee Richie) his father was Kenneth MacKenzie.

Margaret Birchall married William Gauld in 1947, who died in 1962.  Four years later she emigrated to Canada and lived with Janet and Neil and their daughter.  One year after this, Maitland moved in with the family.

When Maitland Birchall emigrated to Canada he worked as a 2nd and 1st mate on ships on the Great Lakes.  He then became a Master Mariner  and was captain of the Canadian science ships "Bayfield" and "Limnos".  Following his death in 2017, I took his ashes back to Dunlop where he is buried in the same village cemetery as his parents and grandmother.

Members of the family have no information regarding a "first wife". 

After my visit Scotland and doing searches in Edinburgh, I quickly came to the conclusion that it's very easy to get bogged down in records.  When researching my grandfather's military record, I found no less that four James Birchalls, all from the same area of England.  Apparently Birchall and Burchill are common names.

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Monday 22 April 24 22:48 BST (UK) »
I will look over my notes again but it seems unlikely to me that he is not the same individual - how many James Birchalls from Burnley would have worked as golf course groundskeepers, which is rather an unusual occupation, in fact, he is the only one I have found amongst thousands of relatives!
Louisa Newton Cooper Birchall was my grandfather’s cousin.  My grandparents immigrated to Quebec about the same time James did.
Not completely ruling him out, but I want to look it over again.

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 23 April 24 01:39 BST (UK) »
James Birchall was my grandfather.  His occupation was greens keeper at the Royal Montreal Golf Club, where he lived with his wife, Margaret Thomson (married in 1927) and his three children, Janet (Nettie), Maitland and Robert.  Janet was named after her maternal grandmother, Robert and Maitland were both named after close friends of my grandfather.  Maitland's middle name comes from a member of the Campbell family who was a second cousin to my great grandmother.

The family returned to Dunlop and James died in May of 1941 and is buried (with my grandmother and great grandmother) in the village cemetery.  His death certificate lists Margaret Thomson as his wife as well as Joseph Birchall, his father and Rosetta Birchall (nee Smith),  his mother.

Neil MacKenzie emigrated to Canada in 1952 and Janet Birchall followed in 1954.  They were married in Toronto in 1954. There was never a change of family name. Neil's mother was Annie MacKenzie (nee Richie) his father was Kenneth MacKenzie.

Margaret Birchall married William Gauld in 1947, who died in 1962.  Four years later she emigrated to Canada and lived with Janet and Neil and their daughter.  One year after this, Maitland moved in with the family.

When Maitland Birchall emigrated to Canada he worked as a 2nd and 1st mate on ships on the Great Lakes.  He then became a Master Mariner  and was captain of the Canadian science ships "Bayfield" and "Limnos".  Following his death in 2017, I took his ashes back to Dunlop where he is buried in the same village cemetery as his parents and grandmother.

Members of the family have no information regarding a "first wife". 

After my visit Scotland and doing searches in Edinburgh, I quickly came to the conclusion that it's very easy to get bogged down in records.  When researching my grandfather's military record, I found no less that four James Birchalls, all from the same area of England.  Apparently Birchall and Burchill are common names.

Could you tell me te date of James and Margaret’s marriage? I couldn’t find one in the Quebec records, and as I mentioned, on the 1931 Canadian census, Margaret is listed as his housekeeper, not his wife.  He is listed as married, she as single.
James was married twice before he went to Montreal; his daughter Eva married Neil Campbell in Montreal.  Eva was from his first marriage.