Author Topic: Glenvorn?  (Read 1771 times)

Offline Silverhawk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Glenvorn?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 15 January 20 14:57 GMT (UK) »
Is it a transcribed entry or hand written?
It's a newspaper announcement. Glenvorn is stated to be the place of marriage and residence of the bride's mother (father was deceased).

What is the date of the event? If it's handwritten, please post a copy of it.
Published April 1940. I would've thought place/name spellings had relatively settled by then, but maybe not.
Ancestral names: Lewis, Watson, Hetherington, Barclay, Clark, Regan, Hunter, Murray, Robson, Todd, Carney, Comerford, Urwin, Rayson, White, Purves, Biggins, Wilson, Gibson, Graham, Curry, Kennedy, Greenlaw, Waldie, Armstrong, Hodgson, Harle, Wild, Monkhouse, Donald, Allen, Bowie, Cowe, Ogilvie, Barnes, Pattinson, Williamson, Hogg, Denholm, Kirkwood and Hewitt

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 15 January 20 15:49 GMT (UK) »
It might have been given by phone or to someone in the newspaper office. Said at normal speech speed,  Glenvarren might well  have sounded like Glenvorn or Glenvarn.

I'll vote for Glenvarren  :)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 15 January 20 15:58 GMT (UK) »
1940? Why didn't you say so at the outset? Gadget and I have been raking about in maps 200 years before that.

Jackson - Harvey. At Glenvorn, on March 29, by the Rev J Kerr, Ewes, John French, son of Mr and Mrs Jackson, Hartwoodmyres, to Isabella Preacher, youngest daughter of the late Robert Harvey and of Mrs Harvey, Glenvorn, Ewes, Langholm. [Southern Reporter, Selkirk, 11 April 1940] (I have checked the SP index and both parties have died, she in 1997 and he in 2001.)

The valuation rolls don't mention Glenvarren or Glenvorn, but in 1940 Mrs Harvey, widow, is inhabitant occupier of a house at Eweslees. In 1935 Andrew Harvey is tenant occupier of a house at Ewelees. It's not clear from the index who the proprietor was, but a look at the original (costs 2 credits) would clarify that.

Silverhawk, this is a perfect example of why it is always best to include all the information you already have when you post a query, please. It helps us to look in the right places.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Silverhawk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 15 January 20 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Sorry about the year. I was a bit tired this morning and obviously wasn't concentrating properly.

Regarding the names, I wasn't sure if I was allowed to identify the people involved. I suspected they were dead given their birth years, but hadn't checked yet and didn't want to assume wrongly.

Isabella's eldest brother was named Andrew, so that could be the same family.
Ancestral names: Lewis, Watson, Hetherington, Barclay, Clark, Regan, Hunter, Murray, Robson, Todd, Carney, Comerford, Urwin, Rayson, White, Purves, Biggins, Wilson, Gibson, Graham, Curry, Kennedy, Greenlaw, Waldie, Armstrong, Hodgson, Harle, Wild, Monkhouse, Donald, Allen, Bowie, Cowe, Ogilvie, Barnes, Pattinson, Williamson, Hogg, Denholm, Kirkwood and Hewitt

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 15 January 20 16:08 GMT (UK) »
Also, on modern map,  is Glenvarren Cottage  to the south of Eweslees.

1940?)

The valuation rolls don't mention Glenvarren or Glenvorn, but in 1940 Mrs Harvey, widow, is inhabitant occupier of a house at Eweslees. In 1935 Andrew Harvey is tenant occupier of a house at Ewelees. It's not clear from the index who the proprietor was, but a look at the original (costs 2 credits) would clarify that.
Looks like the Glenvarren one - just south of Eweslees
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 15 January 20 16:16 GMT (UK) »
Location on a modern map

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ovb/

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 15 January 20 16:25 GMT (UK) »
From  the marriage cert:

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 15 January 20 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Isabella's eldest brother was named Andrew, so that could be the same family.
Andrew died in 1988.

Another sister, Jeanie Thomson, died in 1981.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 15 January 20 16:28 GMT (UK) »
From  the marriage cert:
That looks very like Glenvoren.

Good of you to use your own credits, Gadget.