Author Topic: BBC news - hyphens in names  (Read 1612 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: BBC news - hyphens in names
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 15 January 20 11:42 GMT (UK) »
My great nephew and nieces have a double barrelled name, their mother's and their father's. It is hyphenated, so they are Smith-Brown (not real name!)  When they were registered the parents were asked whether they wanted a hyphen or not, so asked what difference it made. From what I understand if it wasn't hyphenated the children could just be known as Brown, but if it was hyphenated they would be known as Smith-Brown.   
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 15 January 20 12:17 GMT (UK) »
  I don't know what the practice is now, but when I worked in libraries books by authors with hyphenated names were filed under the first name. Unhyphenated names went under the second name, which accords with what Groom said. Names without hyphens were a problem, as they often ended up in two places!
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 15 January 20 12:38 GMT (UK) »
I too worked in libraries many years ago and we filed our books the same way as Top-of-the-hill.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 15 January 20 13:15 GMT (UK) »
Should be straightforward.  Hyphenated if it's a surname, not hyphenated if the first element is treated as a forename. 

Like the US custom of married women keeping their former surnames as forenames, eg Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy, Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 15 January 20 13:23 GMT (UK) »
My great nephew and nieces have a double barrelled name, their mother's and their father's. It is hyphenated, so they are Smith-Brown (not real name!)  When they were registered the parents were asked whether they wanted a hyphen or not, so asked what difference it made. From what I understand if it wasn't hyphenated the children could just be known as Brown, but if it was hyphenated they would be known as Smith-Brown.

I accidentally gave my children hyphenated surnames. My intention was for my surname to be the middle name, but somehow it ended up hyphenated. I can't recall if I was asked if I wanted this, did not understand this was how it worked, and I have regretted it ever since.

Having gone through life having to always spell my surname, I wanted them to have their father's common surname to avoid this.

Unfortunately they have ended up with a long double barrelled surname which they have to spell and which they struggle to fit on forms and on cards issued by the banks.  :(

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 15 January 20 14:03 GMT (UK) »
One of my Family lines all have the middle name Miller and there has never been an attempt to hyphenate it...the middle name has come down from about five generations and was original a Maiden name.
The fashion today of having two surnames I believe is the result of people living together rather than marrying and it acknowledges both Parents. I always associate double barrelled names with the upper classes.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 15 January 20 14:45 GMT (UK) »
  The fashion today of having two surnames I believe is the result of people living together rather than marrying and it acknowledges both Parents.       

Yes, that was the reason my niece did it. Mind you it did prevent problems now that they are no longer together. Last year she took the children abroad on holiday and took the precaution of having their father sign a statement that he gave his permission. When she presented that at passport control, she was told it wasn't necessary, as part of the children's surname was the same as the one on her passport.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 15 January 20 14:57 GMT (UK) »
I know people who kept their own surnames and gave their children a sort of hybridized surname -  like, for example, Whitaker + Burnside = Whitburn.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 15 January 20 15:43 GMT (UK) »
At one time, teachers would assume a child with a double-barrelled surname was posh. More recently, they often made the assumption that the parents were not married! Perhaps the assumption should be that the parents are proud of all family surnames?
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)