Author Topic: Critchfield/Evans Marriage  (Read 4346 times)

Offline Flouncylicious

• RootsChat Senior
  • Dora Kent Nee Waterfield
    • View Profile
Re: Critchfield/Evans Marriage
« Reply #81 on: Tuesday 18 February 20 16:01 GMT (UK) »
In her will the item she was most insistent about was surprisingly not her money, jewellery or her home; but her Grandfather's oak clock.

Thank you for posting the details of the Will, aside from her children I guess her Grandfather was probably an important person to her....

Thanks once again Ladyhawk. There is a whole page setting out just what should happen to the clock. It's a fascinating document.
Kent Thompson Gazzard Cunnington Tunmer Sheldrake Miller Waterfield Furneaux Granshaw Priddie Ward Belson Towell Newton

Offline phillippalee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Friday 15 September 23 23:41 BST (UK) »
This is so interesting - I am just starting to research my family. My Great, Great Grandfather was William Thomas Critchfield. He was married to Emily who was born in Glasgow and their daughter was Jessie Matilda Critchfield who was my great grand mother. My Grandfather was called Raffaelle - I am assuming he is named after Jessies brother who was called Raffaelle Garbialdi. I am interested in why he was called such an unusual name.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Sunday 17 September 23 12:19 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat, Phillippalee.

This is a complicated thread and 3 years old now. At first, I thought you had just seen the Critchfield name but I see this in an early post:

He is William Thomas Critchfield b.1824 Bermondsey. He has occupations on the census of 'professional singer', 'musician', 'comedian and vocalist' amongst others. He marries Caroline M Winsland in Brixton 1845. They have one child, Ernest. Caroline dies in 1853. He marries Emily Jane Ryland in Scotland 1856. They have 2 children, Matilda Jessie and Raffaelle Garibaldi. Emily dies in late 1865.

As for the unusual name, there are hundreds of Garibaldi forenames in 1860s which I would imagine is due to the Italian patriot. I am not sure re Raffaelle.
Perhaps in his travels in entertainment, William came across Italian entertainers and like the name. :-\
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk