Author Topic: Thomas birth  (Read 2397 times)

Offline Quarryman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas birth
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 19 January 20 14:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Rosie99 (and everyone else) for your help. Your info would make her 21/22 when she married  widowed farmer Griffith Williams - father farmer William Williams - in 1845.  As she doesn't appear in the 1841 census at the family home at Is Helen I guess she may have been a servant somewhere = possibly at the home of Griffith Williams at "Dolwenith, Llanllyfni". I still can't find this on the 1841 census!
Now to find Griffith Williams and Dolwenith.

Thanks again, everybody.
Roberts, Caernarfon. Thomas, Caernarfon. Kite, Kent.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 19 January 20 17:08 GMT (UK) »
I don't think you'll find Dolwenith in the 1841 census.I've looked at the properties close by it in 1851,such as Tir Bach,Tal Garnedd,Dol Ifan(or Evan) and found them on the 1841 census,but no sign of a Dolwenith.There ia however a Dol y Fellin in this sequence,occupied by a Griffith Williams.There is plenty of scope for confusion because Dolwenith in 1851 is occupied by a Griffith Thomas,with wife Anne,but the son is given as Thomas Williams!

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 19 January 20 20:37 GMT (UK) »
I've found Dol y felin on an old map which has Dolwenith as well,so they are different properties.I'll look again at the 1841 census.

Roger

Offline Mair

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 19 January 20 23:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Quarryman 

Dolwenith is still there just SE of Llanllyfni.  It is mentioned on Melville Richards list of places for around 1770 so its been around a while! 

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01owk/   and zoom in a level  and you should spot it on the map

On Nantlle.com there is a posting from a few years ago which fits to the immediate previous occupants of Dolwenith.

Despair makes a good point - patronmics may wel be involved as the families around there seem to be using the naming pattern.

Good Hunting

M
Rowland/s- Hughes -Caernarfornshire/Stockport Cheshire
Barnicoat - Cornwall Lancashire Stockport,Cheshire
Jones (!) - Caernarvonshire,NWales  USA - Iowa, Wisconsin, S Dakota.
Thomas - Anglesey, USA Iowa, Oregon

Offline Quarryman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 20 January 20 10:56 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, everyone, for all your help. It is much appreciated. As I have found, postings usually throw up questions as well as answers = but that is what it's all about.

Thank you all again. More trails to follow.

Offline Quarryman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 20 January 20 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Back again...why cannot I find any record of the birth of Anne Thomas. father Thomas Thomas, mother Annie Thomas, between 1815 and 1823 .anywher She gives her birthplace as Llanbeblig in censuses, but there is no record of her birth anywhere as far as I can see.Apart from parish registers, FreeReg , FamilySearch can anybody suggest anything else. Have even tried Chester, where her mother cam from.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 20 January 20 17:51 GMT (UK) »
The only thong I can think of,which is a long shot,and may be impossible to prove,is that she is somehow synonymous with a Jane Thomas.In the time period you are interested in there is a birth in Llanbeblig in 1817 with a possible death in 1819,then two births in 1821,one of which is to the other Thomas and Anne(nee Parry),with one death also in 1821.I can't confidently follow the remaining Jane Thomas through either census,marriage or death.

Roger

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 20 January 20 18:12 GMT (UK) »
Desperately searching for birth date (and place) of Anne (Annie)Thomas, born 1812-1822,father Thomas Thomas, mother Anne Thomas.Th.e family- minus Anne (Annie) - were living at Is Helen, in 1845 when Anne (Annie) was married to Griffith Williams. Both are said to be "of full  age" on marriage certificate.

Presumably you know her father is Thomas from her marriage - what was his occupation.

You say the family minus Annie were at Is Helen in 1845, where did that information come from.

What is the source of her mothers name
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Quarryman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 22 January 20 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rosie99,

Sorry, got confused.Meant to say there was no mention of Annie in the 1841 census - nor her elder brother -   but she gives her home on her 1845 marriage certificate as Is Helen, Llanbeblig, the family home,