Author Topic: Who might Uncle John Black have been?  (Read 3166 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Who might Uncle John Black have been?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 18 January 20 09:42 GMT (UK) »
Short of sending off for a certificate, is there any way of telling from the death reference where in NZ a birth, death or marriage occurred?

Not from the online reference at NZ BDMH, but instead from the corresponding Birth or Death (not marriage) on the microfiche copy.  There are a set of indexed booklets that are usually found alongside the microfiche that allow a researcher to look at the microfiche reference numbers and find the registration district.
Thank you. Not very practical for me, being 12,000 miles away from the index books, but at least you've confirmed that it can be done :)

I do use online cemetery records, and PapersPast, quite a lot.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 18 January 20 09:48 GMT (UK) »
Thank you to Minniehaha and Tgapitbull for all the information, I did have some of it from PapersPast, but all the death, burial and obituary information, plus Ethel's first marriage, were new (I had to get some sleep or I'd have been up all night, cross-eyed :) )
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 18 January 20 10:10 GMT (UK) »
Joining the dots here and hoping that two & two don't make five! but the following details possibly relate to the daughter named in the death notice & obituary. I do note that the initials of the Broadbridge man are not the same.
But it's a wartime marriage and he is named as LAC Broadbridge not Mr LAC Broadbridge. LAC could be Leading Aircraft Man.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 18 January 20 10:40 GMT (UK) »
(Source: Te Waimatemate - History of Waimate County and Borough by William Greenwood, pgs 268, 319, 321).
In this book there are also references to; Wally Black, W E Black, W J Black and William P Black in case they are of interest?
I don't know. In my database there are no Walter Blacks, and I have dates and places of death for 18 of the 20 William Blacks, none of whom has a middle name.

Of the two whose dates of death I don't have, one was born in 1755 and died before 1764, so it's obviously not him.

The other was a plain William Black born in Sunderland in 1896. He was the nephew of the NZ John Black (1865-1942) and eldest son of the William Black who was a partner in the shipowners Albyn Line. However I don't think he eimgrated to NZ because it's probable that he took over his father's shipowning and insurance business interests. His next brother died in Zimbabwe in 1989 and the third brother went into the Army and was made a CBE in 1960 for political and public services in Durham.

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "To live in hearts we leave behind, Is not to die"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 18 January 20 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Joining the dots here and hoping that two & two don't make five! but the following details possibly relate to the daughter named in the death notice & obituary. I do note that the initials of the Broadbridge man are not the same.
But it's a wartime marriage and he is named as LAC Broadbridge not Mr LAC Broadbridge. LAC could be Leading Aircraft Man.

I did wonder about that [LAC]; looks as if I may have been on the right track anyway.  :)

Minniehaha.
HAMMOND, Cainham/Caynham, Shropshire, U.K. Otago-NZ.
GALBRAITH, Ireland, Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Kensington-London, U.K.
GRANT, Sct., Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Vancouver, Canada.
GLASS, Aberdeenshire, Otago-NZ.
CAIRNEY/CARNEY/KEARNEY/Ireland, Airdrie, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
O'BRIEN Mary Ann, Limerick, Otago-NZ.
NICOL(L) James, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
SCOTT Thomas, Shetland, Otago-NZ.
MCHARDY/MCHARDIE Euphemia, Scotland, Otago-NZ.

Offline Tgapitbull

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 18 January 20 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Forfarian,
I have sent you 2 PMs.
One is about Broadbridge Transport, Wairau Valley, Marlborough and includes a link to a story with photos, about the company.

TPB

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 19 January 20 00:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 19 January 20 11:09 GMT (UK) »
Joining the dots here and hoping that two & two don't make five! but the following details possibly relate to the daughter named in the death notice & obituary.
Your arithmetic is flawless, Minniehaha. Some help from Tgapitbull has led me to the attached, from the Evening Post of 5 July 1941.

Though it must have been a long engagement because Hazel was still Miss Hazel Black in the wedding report you found in 1945.

PS In what year did the wedding take place?

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "To live in hearts we leave behind, Is not to die"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 19 January 20 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello Forfarian,

Because the marriage does not yet appear on the NZ BDM website we are not permitted to show it here but I will send the year to you via PM.  :)

Minniehaha.
HAMMOND, Cainham/Caynham, Shropshire, U.K. Otago-NZ.
GALBRAITH, Ireland, Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Kensington-London, U.K.
GRANT, Sct., Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Vancouver, Canada.
GLASS, Aberdeenshire, Otago-NZ.
CAIRNEY/CARNEY/KEARNEY/Ireland, Airdrie, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
O'BRIEN Mary Ann, Limerick, Otago-NZ.
NICOL(L) James, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
SCOTT Thomas, Shetland, Otago-NZ.
MCHARDY/MCHARDIE Euphemia, Scotland, Otago-NZ.