Author Topic: Who might Uncle John Black have been?  (Read 3172 times)

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "To live in hearts we leave behind, Is not to die"
    • View Profile
Re: Who might Uncle John Black have been?
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 22 January 20 21:33 GMT (UK) »
So, back to square one. We will keep trying...... :)

Minniehaha.
HAMMOND, Cainham/Caynham, Shropshire, U.K. Otago-NZ.
GALBRAITH, Ireland, Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Kensington-London, U.K.
GRANT, Sct., Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Vancouver, Canada.
GLASS, Aberdeenshire, Otago-NZ.
CAIRNEY/CARNEY/KEARNEY/Ireland, Airdrie, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
O'BRIEN Mary Ann, Limerick, Otago-NZ.
NICOL(L) James, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
SCOTT Thomas, Shetland, Otago-NZ.
MCHARDY/MCHARDIE Euphemia, Scotland, Otago-NZ.

Offline Tgapitbull

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 23 January 20 04:43 GMT (UK) »
Do you have a copy of Joy's birth registration?
If so could you advise the details as this may provide some further clues.

TPB

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 23 January 20 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Do you have a copy of Joy's birth registration?
No, I don't.

I am looking to verify and expand information given to me. I have some family stories and other information from a relative on Joy's grandfather's side, who is not related to me, and I think it was from there that I got the snippet about Kirwee, the road to Springfield and 'Uncle John Black'. So far, it has all proved correct. This is where I am at the moment:

I have her father's YoB and district of birth from the English birth index, and his DoB from that and from his NZ death index, and I have his burial record.
I have her mother's YoB and district of birth from the English BMD indexes, and her DoB from her NZ death index, and I have her burial record.
I have the birth indexes of Joy and her brother and sister, and their dates of birth from their NZ death indexes. I have her siblings' burials, but not Joy's so far but only because I haven't got round to looking it up.
All burials found so far are in Christchurch.

I know what the Black connection is; Joy's father's mother was Adalina Mary Black, who died in Christchurch in 1915, and I have reams and reams of information about almost every member of that extended family. One exception is Adalina's nephew John Black, born 1889 in Sunderland, listed in the 1901 census in Sunderland, and then disappeared. Though there are two hints that he may not, after all, have left England. One is a John Black in a register of electors in England in 1945, and the other is that probate of his sister Eleanor's estate in 1955 was granted to John Black, night watchman. If these are indeed him, then he obviously isn't 'Uncle John Black' in New Zealand. Which, since the John Black (1865-1942) you have all found for me is not known to have farmed near Kirwee, and is known to have been living in Waimate in 1914 when Joy was born, still leaves unanswered the original question of who 'Uncle John Black' was.

I have to admit that, having been spoiled by instant access to Scottish BMD certificates for less than the price of a cup of coffee, I find the cost of English, Welsh, Australian, New Zealand etc certificates very offputting. If Joy's bc were to confirm an actual address where she was born, rather than just saying 'Springfield Road, Kirwee', will that actually help to find 'Uncle John Black' in practice?

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline TwiggyTree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Friday 24 January 20 00:44 GMT (UK) »
I am wondering if finding something in the Deeds Nominal Index book, Crown Grants or Land Title register for the John Black from Kirwee Springfield might be a next step?  There may possibly be a tidbit of extra information to place this fellow?  I am not personally familiar with these records so this is a long shot.  Perhaps other Rootschatters will have researched this avenue and fill us in ....

A NZ Archives guide on property as a starting point:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01oxd/

LINZ guide:
https://www.linz.govt.nz/land/land-records/search-for-land-records/historic-land-records
...out of, through, and back from New Zealand to the ends of the Earth

FRYER - MITCHELL - DUKE - WHYTE - McDONALD - TAYLOR - CARPENTER - HARRIS - WILLIAMS - CUNNINGHAME - LUCAS - WHITE - BOTHAM - HOLDAWAY - EYLES - OLSEN - CHASE - TRAILL - BAGGS - HASKINS - EDWARDS - CHING - SHIELDS - POLLARD - HOGAN - SMITH - STANLEY - HALL - ROBERTS - LARKHAM

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "To live in hearts we leave behind, Is not to die"
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Friday 24 January 20 00:58 GMT (UK) »
Part quote:

"Which, since the John Black (1865-1942) you have all found for me is not known to have farmed near Kirwee, and is known to have been living in Waimate in 1914 when Joy was born, still leaves unanswered the original question of who 'Uncle John Black' was."

You should keep in mind that the Electoral Rolls were not necessarily right up to date with information. By the time the details went to print, some electors may have moved to another address.  :)

Minniehaha.
HAMMOND, Cainham/Caynham, Shropshire, U.K. Otago-NZ.
GALBRAITH, Ireland, Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Kensington-London, U.K.
GRANT, Sct., Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Vancouver, Canada.
GLASS, Aberdeenshire, Otago-NZ.
CAIRNEY/CARNEY/KEARNEY/Ireland, Airdrie, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
O'BRIEN Mary Ann, Limerick, Otago-NZ.
NICOL(L) James, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
SCOTT Thomas, Shetland, Otago-NZ.
MCHARDY/MCHARDIE Euphemia, Scotland, Otago-NZ.