Author Topic: Maiden name of Margaret Mansell  (Read 939 times)

Offline dotty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Maiden name of Margaret Mansell
« on: Saturday 18 January 20 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Margaret Mansell married Benjamin Prialu [Through my research this name has been transcribed in many ways.]on the 8th Feb 1782 at Shifnal.She was described as a widow.Benjamin came from Bakewell .Now wanting to go back further with Margaret and any help for me to do so would be much appreciated

Dotty
Braithwaite,Roney,Hartley,Jackson,Reed, Cumberland /Westmorland .Livesey,Hartley,Taylor,Sefton,Harrison,Knowles,Lancashire.Bottomley,Schofield,Woodhouse ,Hobson ,Norcliffe  and Hartley West Yorkshire.Bottomley Dumfrieshire and Lanarkshire.Pinder ,Warwickshire.Kisby ,Cambridgeshire

Census information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Maiden name of Margaret Mansell
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 January 20 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

There is a Margaret Prenolds (sometimes shown as Trenolds or Praynolds) who was born 5 Feb 1752 and was christened at Wroxeter, Shropshire on 1 April 1753. Parents were Edward and Elizabeth.

It seems she married a William Mansell in 1775 at Wellington, Shropshire and they had a son Edward born in 1777. He seems to have been born c1754 and there is a possible death for a William Mansell (and burial) ln 1780 at Shrewsbury.

Don't know if this is the right Margaret but perhaps she is the one who married Benjamin Priolu in 1782 at Shifnal, with a son Benjamin being born in 1785.

I think I can see the Priolu's deaths in Buxton Derbyshire -

Benjamin born 1739 died 1808; M (presume Margaret b 1752 died 1802; son Benjamin born 1785 died 1801.

Perhaps worth looking at this as a possibility?

Alan

Offline dotty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 January 20 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Alan
It is so frustrating after 20 years of research I thought I had nailed it and then I saw widow after Margaret's name.I had looked at that couple but I think there was a child born after 1882 to them but I can't find the records of that again perhaps she will remain my brickwall for ever.

Dotty
Braithwaite,Roney,Hartley,Jackson,Reed, Cumberland /Westmorland .Livesey,Hartley,Taylor,Sefton,Harrison,Knowles,Lancashire.Bottomley,Schofield,Woodhouse ,Hobson ,Norcliffe  and Hartley West Yorkshire.Bottomley Dumfrieshire and Lanarkshire.Pinder ,Warwickshire.Kisby ,Cambridgeshire

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 January 20 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dotty,

I know how frustrating it can be with a brick wall you just can't crack.

When you say a child after 1882 I assume you mean 1782 when they married?

If so Benjamin (born 1785) fits the bill. Maybe there might be a crack in your wall?

Alan

Offline dotty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 January 20 16:57 GMT (UK) »
 Thanks Alan I  did mean 1782 but looking at some info I have thought were right seems to be contradicting things.I will post again in a few  mins

Dotty

Offline dotty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 January 20 20:32 GMT (UK) »
This is what I know
Benjamin Priolu  married Margaret Mansell a widow in1782 in Shifnal
Benjamin Priolu born 1785 he died 1801 age sixteen
Betty Pinder born Fairfield parents Margaret and Benjamin 1788
Margaret Priolue died 1792
Marriage between Mary Inman and Benjamin Priolus at Bakewell 1793 not sure on this
Benjamin Priolu died 1808 age 69
Elizabeth Priolu  married Hugh Hartley in 1814 both of Buxton
Benjamin Hartley b1818 married Elizabeth Thornley in Salford in 1939
Two of their children were Margaret Mansell Hartley born 1848 and Alfred Thomas Hartley in 1849 later baptised as Benjamin Prioleau Hartley in 1851 after his father Benjamin snr died
Opinions as to if I have connected correctly.
Dotty

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 January 20 10:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dotty,

Here's what I have found so far -
Margaret Mansell Hartley was one of at least 5 children born to Benjamin Hartley and Elizabeth Thornley. They had married in 1839. Margaret (1847); Alfred Thomas (1849); Agnes (1845) Henry Hugh (1842) and Emily (1841). There may be others but have not checked the 1861 censuses as yet.

Benjamin P Hartley died in 1850 age 33. The GRO records show his middle name as Priolean. In 1851 Elizabeth was a widow age 31.

Benjamin's parents were Hugh Hartley and Elizabeth Priolean who married in Buxton, Derbyshire on 3 May 1814. Hugh was an Architect

Benjamin and his brother Thomas were both baptised at Buxton Chapelry (Benjamin born 24 July 1816, and Thomas 6 March 1818).

Elizabeth Thornley's father was William Thornley (a Joiner).

Alan

Offline dotty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 21 January 20 11:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Alan
Do you think I am on the right track backwards with the Benjamin and Margarets marriage  in Shifnal.
An interesting thing the brother of Hugh Hartley - Jesse Hartley designed the Albert Dock in Liverpool.Our family's only claim to fame I think but there is a lot of interesting info on him.

Thanks again for your interest.

Dotty

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 21 January 20 14:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dotty,

Personally I would be suspicious of connecting a marriage in Shifnal, Shropshire to a family in Buxton, Derbyshire. It is too far away.

The mention  of Jesse Hartley is interesting in that there are many mention of him online with his involvement to the Albert Dock (and lots more) in Liverpool.

One issue that arises is that an obituary on Grace's Guide to British Industrial History shows a brother Bernard and a nephew (also Bernard) - no mention of a brother called Hugh. It does say that his father was called Hugh, but we know from the 1814 marriage that he was an Architect which lies well with Jesse being like minded. The family seem to come from Pontefract, West Yorkshire.

Family Search has several christenings for a Hartley family from Pontefract between 1777 and 1800 including a Hugh and Jesse but parents are Bernard and Mary.

Quite confusing

Alan