Author Topic: Scottish school teachers in Boer War concentration camps  (Read 637 times)

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Scottish school teachers in Boer War concentration camps
« on: Sunday 19 January 20 12:52 GMT (UK) »
I have just found out that my father's maternal grandfather's sister was one of 33 Scottish elementary school teachers selected, in 1901, to teach at the above-mentioned camps. Her name was Margaret Beveridge Henderson MacGregor and apparently she later became a Schools Inspector and went out to Rhodesia in this role some time in the (early?) 1930s. (My father's older sister was at Eveline School in Bulawayo when Margaret arrived for an inspection, and tried to avoid her great aunt's eye by hiding behind a pillar, I am told.) Does anyone know whether there was a list made of where each of these teachers were sent once they arrived in South Africa?

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Scottish school teachers in Boer War concentration camps
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 January 20 03:03 GMT (UK) »
I doubt you will find a list. Did she ever marry? You may find your answer here https://www.jstor.org/stable/3491042?seq=1
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Eliza Warr c 1900 Found her she lied about her age
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 January 20 07:58 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried looking in the British or Scottish Archives, presumably she was employed by the UK authorities, the details may well be in Kew or Edinburgh
WARR, MAUCHAN, GOWANS,Guest,Whitcomb. Taute, Webb,Pascual

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 January 20 09:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to both of you for your responses. It was a bit of a long shot really, but I thought it was worth a try. I have since managed to find out that Margaret was sent off to Cape Town on the "Galenka" along with 9 other Scottish women teachers, on 21 December 1901, but that's all. She never married and I have found evidence that she had returned to Scotland by 1925. She did make several trips to South Africa afterwards, but I've no idea whether that was in connection with her school inspections, or just to visit her married brother, who by that time was living and working in what was then Southern Rhodesia.

Gillian, you are probably right - the info may be held in the Scottish Archives, but whether I'd be able to access them is another story!