Author Topic: My mysterious chemist ancestor! Anyone throw any light on any of this?  (Read 3355 times)

Offline CelticAnnie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
My mysterious chemist ancestor! Anyone throw any light on any of this?
« on: Sunday 19 January 20 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Gideon Davies Owen was born 27th June 1857 in Edinburgh; but moved to London as a child with his family.  In the 1871 census, aged 14, he is an errand boy working for wholesale chemist (I suspect in his father's workplace); but by 1881 (if I have identified him correctly -- first name rendered as 'Geo' rather than 'Gideon', but all other details fit) he is living as a boarder with a couple in Camberwell and is employed as a chemist.  Perhaps he was then working as an assistant, gaining experience.  But by 1891 he is living/working at 546 Harrow Road, Paddington: a retail unit with flat above; and he is a retail chemist.

The Pharmacy Act of 1868 made it compulsory for all chemists to register with The Royal Pharmaceutical Society to be allowed to practice -- which (if they were not in practice before 1868 -- when Gideon would have been 11 years old) involved passing an exam.  Yet this Society has no record of Gideon's ever registering with them!  So he appears to have been trading without the required registration.  Does anyone know, was this commonly done at this time?  Would it have been an easy thing to get away with?

Of course, upon learning of his lack of registration, I wondered if perhaps -- despite him living in the property exclusively with members of his family -- he was working at this address under the direction of another chemist.  But the following newspaper entry negates this idea -- clearly, Gideon was 'the man in charge'.

KILBURN TIMES -- Friday 31 August 1900
"A CHEMIST'S ACCIDENT -- Gideon Davis Owen, chemist, of 546 Harrow Road, was summoned by the Paddington Vestry for selling to the prejudice of the purchaser [one unreadable word] tincture of quinine which contained 80% less than the proper proportion of quinine sulphate as prescribed by the British Pharmacopeia.  He pleaded guilty, and explained that the deficiency was due to an accident.  As the article was being prepared an assistant dropped some of the sulphate -- Mr Plowden said as there was no fraud the defendant would be fined 5s with 12s 6d costs."

To my mind, this verdict accepting Gideon's account of things as an accident seems very odd. If some quinine sulphate had been dropped, why did the assistant simply not re-make the prescription?  To my mind, this does seem much more likely to have been a fraud.  But I wasn't in court listening to the case, so -- who knows?!

Then, on the very next day, another newspaper carries this advertisement:

LONDON EVENING STANDARD -- Saturday 1 September
"HARROW ROAD, W. -- The fittings and stock of a chemist, comprising sets of store bottles, show carboys, mortars, scales, counter showcases, stock of drugs and chemicals, fancy goods, perfumes, soaps, brushes, patent medicines, counters, shelving, few lots of household furniture, and other effects.  MESSRS H N NEWTON & CO will SELL by AUCTION on the Premises, No 546 Harrow-road, W., on Monday, September 3, 1900 at 12 o'clock.

So, on the very next day after his case is heard: here Gideon is, selling his shop fittings and stock!  It is surely most unlikely that the two events were unconnected.  But -- how are they?!

In 1901 census, Gideon is -- frustratingly -- visiting friends; so no indication from here of where he was living then.  But the electoral roll suggests he was still at 546 Harrow Road; and the 1901 census lists his profession as 'chemist/drug own account'!  So it looks as if nothing had changed!

After this, Gideon drops completely out of sight.  I cannot find him in 1911 census, and can find no death certificate for him.

This whole thing is a confusing mess and I just don't know what to make of it all.  I just wondered if anyone else could throw any light on, or has any ideas about, all of this.  Or can anyone find any other records relating to him?

Many thanks for reading this far -- sorry about the long post!

CELTICANNIE

PEPLOE/PEPLOW: Shropshire, Inverness
DAVIES: Inverness, Montgomeryshire, Ruabon
OWEN: Edinburgh, Aberystwyth, Middlesex, Essex, Kendal, Berwick, Montgomeryshire
TROLLOPE: Warwickshire, Middlesex
TAYLOR & McKAY: Montreal, Canada

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: My mysterious chemist ancestor! Anyone throw any light on any of this?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 19 January 20 22:54 GMT (UK) »
I've looked but not found anything  ???

There are a few G D Owens on passenger lists,  Emigration would explain him selling up and no further trace in England.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 January 20 23:17 GMT (UK) »
From the 1899 PO Directory for Harrow Road:
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 January 20 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Hmm, the Post Office Directory for 1914 still shows Owen & Co at 546 Harrow Road.

I'm not having any joy finding 546 Harrow Road on the 1911 census. (I wonder if there was no census return for this address if Gideon lived on his own and was away on census night)
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE

Offline Nic.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 January 20 00:13 GMT (UK) »
Looking at 546 on the 1901 census it appears to be occupied by
Joachim Dresner
Brother
Age 25
Birth year   1876
Birth place AUSTRIA HUNGARY AUSTRIAN S
Occupation   Manager (Buttershop)
House number   546

Archive reference   RG13
Piece number   6
Folio   60
Page   10

Nic

Offline CelticAnnie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 January 20 02:02 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for your helpful comments  :).  Odd that Gideon was not living in the property in 1901 but was still trading at the address in 1914 — perhaps he had moved into more modest lodgings and sub-let the flat above the shop for financial gain?

CELTICANNIE
PEPLOE/PEPLOW: Shropshire, Inverness
DAVIES: Inverness, Montgomeryshire, Ruabon
OWEN: Edinburgh, Aberystwyth, Middlesex, Essex, Kendal, Berwick, Montgomeryshire
TROLLOPE: Warwickshire, Middlesex
TAYLOR & McKAY: Montreal, Canada

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 January 20 08:43 GMT (UK) »
It is odd that Owen & Co are still there in 1914. If he wasn't in business you would expect him to be under the residential section.

Here's the link

http://specialcollections.le.ac.uk/digital/api/collection/p16445coll4/id/13010/download

The familiy seem to have had some money but I can't see a will for him either.
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 January 20 09:43 GMT (UK) »
Owen & Co are not listed at 546 Harrow Road in the London directories for 1902, 1905 or 1912. I am wondering if the 1914 listing is an error.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 January 20 10:04 GMT (UK) »
The summary book for Harrow Road in the 1911 census show the shop as uninhabited.

Here's the link if you have access to Ancestry

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/interactive/1708/31820_00001-00329/8329146?backurl=&ssrc=&backlabel=Return
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE