Author Topic: My mysterious chemist ancestor! Anyone throw any light on any of this?  (Read 3356 times)

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Re: My mysterious chemist ancestor! Anyone throw any light on any of this?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 16 June 20 00:24 BST (UK) »
Fascinating story .
I wonder if his mother or siblings had a will and mentioned him in it

He will be hard to find if he changed his name or emigrated but maybe something else will turn up .

Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 16 June 20 16:02 BST (UK) »

KILBURN TIMES -- Friday 31 August 1900
"A CHEMIST'S ACCIDENT -- Gideon Davis Owen, chemist, of 546 Harrow Road, was summoned by the Paddington Vestry for selling to the prejudice of the purchaser [one unreadable word] tincture of quinine which contained 80% less than the proper proportion of quinine sulphate as prescribed by the British Pharmacopeia.  He pleaded guilty, and explained that the deficiency was due to an accident.  As the article was being prepared an assistant dropped some of the sulphate -- Mr Plowden said as there was no fraud the defendant would be fined 5s with 12s 6d costs."

the unreadable word is ammoniated. it seems to be sold as a treatment for colds and flu. Advertising poster here

https://www.amazon.com/Ammoniated-Tincture-Quinine-20x30-Poster/dp/B0739CC9DB

I wonder if he got off so lightly because he had "connections"
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline CelticAnnie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 16 June 20 20:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your interest, Brigidmac and LizzieL -- and thank you for the missing word!  LizzieL, I'd certainly not considered that Gideon might have 'connections'; but who knows?  brigidmac, Gideon's sisters and mother all died with (as best I know) very little to leave.  His sisters never married and worked all their lives to support themselves (and their mother).  I therefore think it unlikely that any of them would have troubled to make a will.  But I will certainly investigate  that -- do not want to leave any potential stone unturned here.

If I ever do find out what happened with Gideon, I will certainly come back here and report!

CELTICANNIE     
PEPLOE/PEPLOW: Shropshire, Inverness
DAVIES: Inverness, Montgomeryshire, Ruabon
OWEN: Edinburgh, Aberystwyth, Middlesex, Essex, Kendal, Berwick, Montgomeryshire
TROLLOPE: Warwickshire, Middlesex
TAYLOR & McKAY: Montreal, Canada