Author Topic: 1917  (Read 1979 times)

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« on: Wednesday 22 January 20 14:05 GMT (UK) »
I've not been to the pictures for a long time but went last night.

The film was 1917

For anyone who has ancestors that fought in the First World War it's well worth watching, though I can't say it's the most "enjoyable" film that I've ever seen.
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1917
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 January 20 22:47 GMT (UK) »
It's got good ratings and I plan to go and see it but I must admit to being a bit  apprehensive about seeing the suffering and the horrors of war that the soldiers experienced  :-\
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 January 20 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Without giving anything away, it's based on a true event in the life of the film's director Sam Mendes' own grandfather.

Bee
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 January 20 10:15 GMT (UK) »
There have been a lot of comments re the long time spent on close up shots.
Not exactly sure what that means , but the CD released last year, for the ending of WWI was very graphic but the shots were very short.
However ,when you read first hand accounts and hear them from survivors of that  horror there is not much left to the imagination.
My Dad was not a ghoulish person but as we got older and he came to stay with us in Belgium we took him to the WWI sites and he would tell us things he would not have described to my sister and I as children and did not in hearing of his grandsons ,but he needed to say it.
After the war no one really wanted to hear and it was bottled up for years and years.
At Hill 60 ,on the road from Ypres to Menen there was a small cafe with lots of coin in the slot viewing machines .
We were appalled that the things on view were earning money for the cafe owner, and yet those things happened .
We had to forbid our young sons from viewing.
Many books give detailed accounts and they are truly horrendous , but nothing can really convey it as it exactly was.Even a film, you were
not there, you did not know that injured man,you did not hear his cries nor see the full extent of his injuries and be unable to help him because you had to advance.
However men coped I do not know,
I am interested to see the film .
Viktoria

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 January 20 13:36 GMT (UK) »
I have recently been to see this film.  I think this will appeal to anyone who has ancestors who served or anyone with a particular interest in the Great War.

I jumped in startlement (as others did around me) several times during this film.  This was due to sudden loud noises and some dramatic scenes.  However, although there are scenes of blood/injury, dead bodies/horses, flies, rats etc, thankfully, overall I didn't find this film particularly gory.
I think the film does make you think though about the conditions the soldiers endured and how trapped they were in having to follow orders, come what may.  Although, he only has a relatively small part, what a presence on the screen Benedict Cumberbatch has!  He is very convincing in his role of a cold, autocratic type committed to his responsibility for ordering men over the top to face death full on.

When I first started out researching my Great War ancestors (I later got interested in this period in general)  I used to think in the terms that were used back then .. so and so 'made the Great Sacrifice' or words to that effect.  As though they had much say in the matter.  However, I now think in terms of that they were 'sacrificed'.  There is a difference.  I do not know how they coped either with the realisation that were now just a number in the objective of winning the war.  An expendable number at that.  In the film there is one character who is particularly cynical and vocal about this.  I suspect there would have been a great many like this at that time even though it would have been totally unacceptable view to overtly ascribe to.

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 January 20 13:44 GMT (UK) »
I found 1917 to be a film which has a particularly striking and lasting effect on the viewer.  It certainly has had on me.

It's not 'close ups' which are being talked about, Viktoria, I think,  but the very long shots which follow the main subjects for lengthy periods either showing what they are seeing or observing them for considerable time.  We are used to seeing shorter shots, edited together, so this is unusual.

This style is broken on a couple of occasions, one with very dramatic and shocking effect.

I think it would be of interest to anyone, whether they had ancestors in WWI or not.

There is a shot at the very end which would, I think, ring a lot of bells with the family history researchers on Rootschat. 

Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 01 February 20 00:03 GMT (UK) »
Well I went to see this film today and found it very absorbing, the cinematography was incredible and pulled you right into the action with dramatic effect. The two main characters were so well cast and were a reminder of how very young and unprepared they were for the horrors of a war that claimed so many lives. The scenes were very realistic and quite emotional in parts, especially in the closing scene. I predict many oscars for this one.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 01 February 20 15:26 GMT (UK) »
I think this film does deserve Oscars.

Last weekend on a letters page of a newspaper someone wrote that they thought it was a shame that it is a 15 rating rather than a PG as they would have liked to have taken their Grandchildren.

I agree with this as I do not think the film to be overly graphic (you do see the slain and someone clutching their stomach injury with hand on top of their bloodstained clothes) - I have seen worse.  I think it is a shame that younger teenagers are missing out.  I think the only thing that would put me off taking my own Grandchild (if he was old enough) would be some of the bad language.  Then again, there isn't too much of it.

I think it would be a good thing for younger children to learn about the Great War through this film (say ages 12+ with parental guidance).
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 01 February 20 15:35 GMT (UK) »
I couldn't agree more RTL, I think most children of that age could handle it. I would like to bet that there are more graphic killings and mutilations on X Box games.
Carol