Author Topic: Ian Anthony Roger Wolfe Artist/printmaker  (Read 1012 times)

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ian Anthony Roger Wolfe Artist/printmaker
« on: Friday 24 January 20 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi.
I am trying to find out about a couple of artists, Ian Anthony Roger Wolfe and Anita Wolfe.

They were born in the early 1940s and in the 60s were living in Topsham, Devon. Ian illustrated a book of Topsham Scenes with block printing and the blocks and the booklet by Gerald Gill are in the museum but we don't know anything else about them.
Ian died in 1982 in East Wellow, Romsey but that is all I know. I am researching White Street in Topsham where they were living and I would love to know more about them and their work.
If anyone has come across them please can you tell me so that I can pass the information on to the museum.
Thank you
Alison

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Ian Anthony Roger Wolfe Artist/printmaker
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 January 20 13:49 GMT (UK) »
His birth reg is on freebmd in 1942 and he died 17.1.1982.  Administration was granted March 1982

See https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/Calendar#calendar

It's quite possible that his widow is still alive so her details cannot be published as Rootschat has a no living persons policy

There is a marriage in 1969 but spouse first name does not correspond with details you have given but she does have a second initial
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 24 January 20 14:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello
As Carole says
Ian A.R Wolfe was born Mar qtr 1942 in Nottingham with a mother's maiden name of Hales
He married in Brighton in Sep qtr 1969 I can't give her name as Carole explains but Anita must be her middle name.
It seems  his parents were from the Tonbridge area of Kent and had married in Sep 1939  and moved back there after the War with the birth of a younger sister in 1946.There is a brother a year older.Christopher Anthony Wolfe buried at Alfreton 10.4.1941 age 3 months.

It looks like father Louis Anthony died in Hastings Dec 2000 born 23.5.1917 in Barnet. Mother Joan  died Sep 1991 also in Hastings .Born 4.8.1915 .
Dad remarried in 1993 after her death .Rene Alice Mumme nee Craig born in Australia 1926 and returned there to die 1.Feb 1916 at Geelong .
I can spot Ian's mother in 1939 at Meadow Lodge ,Grosvenor Road  Tunbridge Wells working as an hairdresser.
No sign of Dad.
There is a family tree on Ancestry for Louis Anthony Wolfe so they may have more .But they are from his second wife's family so maybe not.

Ciderdrinker

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 24 January 20 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both Ciderdrinker and CaroleW.

I hadn't thought about Anita being alive so I will be very careful. I will follow these leads and see if Ian and Anita made more work, we want to credit Ian's work and document them as part of the life in White Street in Topsham.

So much to find out ...
Alison

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 24 January 20 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Alison

I am sending you a pm with info that can't be given here
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 24 January 20 17:32 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Carolew

Offline AsH62

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 24 January 20 19:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi CaroleW

I am having all sorts of computer problems and can't seem to reply as a private message but thank you for this, I really appreciate it.

A

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 24 January 20 20:44 GMT (UK) »
No problem & good luck

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 24 January 20 21:46 GMT (UK) »
2 Brook Cottages is just opposite West Wellow school, is now called The Funny Farm, and is a very attractive building (I think).

If I remember I can look in Romsey Advertiser in 1982 for an obituary on Monday.

Google map link removed as was not working in shrink link for me.  Easy to find images on google.