Author Topic: Bristol Marriage Licence - 1776  (Read 1030 times)

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bristol Marriage Licence - 1776
« on: Friday 24 January 20 23:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi can anyone please tell me where I might be able to find a copy of the bond or allegation for the marriage of James Tucker and Sarah Coombes at St Augustine the Less, Bristol, on 18 August 1776 please?

I have had a look online but not sure if they survive or can be viewed. Help really appreciated!

Many thanks,
Jon

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bristol Marriage Licence - 1776
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 January 20 10:01 GMT (UK) »
Its on A….ry but a bit lacking in detail, no marital status, what I can tell you they were both of the parish, both signed, witnesses Susanna Tucker & William Taylor. Sarah signed Combes but the entry by the vicar noted Coombes.

A Susannah Tucker married John Earle 24 Aug 1777  St Stephen, Bristol

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 January 20 10:09 GMT (UK) »
Bristol Record Office should hold Marriage Licences etc as does Gloucestershire (although the Forest of Dean Family History website, has transcribed Gloucestershire (and does include a number of residence : Bristol, but would be marrying in Gloucestershire e.g. Cirencester)  - usually two copies, one being the Licence and the other being the Bond.

This is just a TUCKER example from the Forest of Dean Site, often ages, residence,  occupations are given.

17 June 1777

Edward PARKER, aged 26, batchelor : residence: Frampton Cotterel

Hannah TUCKER, aged 30, widow, residence: Winterbourne

Marriage by: Licence

Event type : Marriage allegation

Memoranda:  sworn before R BLISSON - to marry in the parish church of Frampton

---

17 June 1777

Edward PARKER - profession: Butcher
residence: Frampton Cotterell

Hannah TUCKER - widow, residence: Winterbourne

Marriage by: Bond

He signs

Witness 1: Isaac PARKER a Butcher of Westerleigh.

---

There are our COOMBE or variations of, marriages at St Aust the Less - give or take 10 years - which may be connected (on Ancestry)

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stephen Bumstead 1844-1903
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 January 20 12:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jon,

The marriage took place in the diocese of Bristol and the bonds and affadavits are kept at the Bristol Record Office, items no. EP/J/3/1 (bonds) and EP/J/3/2 (affadavits). I've checked on their online catalogue and they should both be available for the year in question. You may have to visit to see them, but it's possible they might photograph them for you and send an image via email or post - you'll have to check,

Steve
Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon
Campbell, McMartin, McLellan, McKercher, Perthshire

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 January 20 13:30 GMT (UK) »
There is available on the net  (earlier, but may be useful to Researchers)

bristol marriage licence bonds: 1701 - 1710 - BAFHS (Bristol & Avon Family History Society)

Chronological Index & Name Index

by: Roger PRICE 2014

www.bafhs.org.uk      and under Free Resources ....... Downloads

In the Introduction

'Thousands of licence bonds survive for marriages that took place in the Bristol region during thre 17th-19th centuries.  They were kept at the Consistory Court of the Bishop of Bristol until 1951, when they were passed to the Bristol Record Office for expert care (BRO Series EP/J/3.  Most of them are now available for examination on microfiches at BRO.  Those bonds that were issued from 1637-1700 were transcribed and published by Denzil HOLLIS and Elizabeth RALPH in 1952.  etc. etc.

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Bristol Marriage Licence - 1776 - TUCKER family
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 26 January 20 19:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for all the replies.

I have emailed Bristol archives asking for process for obtaining copies.

I am now interested in another marriage to see if it is his second marriage or that of of his son.

The two marriages are:

St Augustine the Less, Bristol:
18 August 1776 James Tucker & Sarah Coombes
31 May 1795 James Tucker & Elizabeth Yeo

On the 1795 marriage there is no marital status and a witness is a James Tucker.

However the two James Tucker signatures on the 1795 marriage do not seem to match the 1776 James Tucker signature.

I am a bit confused about it as if the 1795 marriage of James Tucker is the son of the 1776 married couple, then he would have been only 17 years old.

However in 1796, a William Combes [sic] Tucker was born to James and Elizabeth which makes me assume James who married in 1795 was the James baptised in 1777 son of James and Sarah.

Let's see if the marriages bonds/allegations bring anything up!

Thanks again,
Jon

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 January 20 14:48 GMT (UK) »
James TUCKER, christening 21 September 1777, St Augstine-the-Less, parents: James TUCKER & Sarah

--

The Age of Marriage Act 1929 - United Kingdom

' quoting off the net'....

increased the age of marriage to sixteen with consent of parents or guardians and 21 without that consent.  It was passed in response to a campaign by the National Union of Societies for Equal Citizenship.

Until this point, at common law and by canon law, a person who had attained the legal age of puberty could contract a valid marriage.

A marriage contracted by persons either of whom was under the legal age of puberty was voidable.  The legal age of puberty was fourteen years for males and twelve years for females.  This section amended the law so that a marriage contracted either of whom were under the age of sixteen years was void.

My x grandmother in 1824 was about 14 years at the time of her marriage (aged 30 on the 1841 census - and aged 41 on the 1851 census)