Author Topic: Union Workhouse, Sandhill, Nr. Pembury, Tonbridge  (Read 1527 times)

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad - 9 times Mayor of Arundel
    • View Profile
Union Workhouse, Sandhill, Nr. Pembury, Tonbridge
« on: Saturday 25 January 20 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Is it possible to find the records of these 3 brothers  admitted to this workhouse. Arthur John Redman, b. 1871.  George Edward Redman b. 1874  and William Redman b. 1879.  They  lost both parents in 1878 father John  and 1879 mother Mary   and were admitted to the workhouse.  All three found on 1881 census.   Arthur had left by 1890 to join the Army, he is well researched.  George is not found on 1891 census but appears  on 1901, 1911 and 1939 register in Liverpool.  William is still in workhouse on 1891 census. If I am correct in 1893 he was indentured as apprentice in merchant navy for 6 years .

I have tried google searches with no luck.  I find it strange they were admitted to workhouse as they had a large family of well off relatives.  In face in later life Arthur lived with his Aunt and actually took her married surname for a while and then married his cousin, but thats another story.

It is also highly unlikely William is the son of John Redman.  I have death certs for mother and father and am awaiting William's birth cert.   That's another avenue to explore.

Any information on George or William would be gratefully received.

Redman, Jupp, Brockhurst of West Sussex
Moore County Down. Redman of Posey, Indiana, USA Emigrated 1820

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Union Workhouse, Sandhill, Nr. Pembury, Tonbridge
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 January 20 09:11 GMT (UK) »
Try the website Workhouses.org.uk - relevant page for Tonbridge:
http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Tonbridge/

At the bottom of the page, you will find details of any records. It says they are at Kent History and Library Centre, Maidstone.
Includes Admissions and Discharges, 1835-1931.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad - 9 times Mayor of Arundel
    • View Profile
Re: Union Workhouse, Sandhill, Nr. Pembury, Tonbridge
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 January 20 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Try the website Workhouses.org.uk - relevant page for Tonbridge:
http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Tonbridge/

At the bottom of the page, you will find details of any records. It says they are at Kent History and Library Centre, Maidstone.
Includes Admissions and Discharges, 1835-1931.

Thank you. I did find that site but missed the bit at the bottom, oops. I will mail Kent Library. I hope they can help via mail as I am now living in Hampshire and it’s a fair distance to travel.
Redman, Jupp, Brockhurst of West Sussex
Moore County Down. Redman of Posey, Indiana, USA Emigrated 1820