Author Topic: Searching for a 3x great grandfather DNA Match  (Read 2316 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for a 3x great grandfather DNA Match
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 04 February 20 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mark,

Thanks for your replies.

Yes - it had occurred to me that Bathsheba is probably from a nonconformist family, given her name and her non-appearance in the parish records. I have even come across Rev Benjamin Boothroyd previously and I've looked at the Highfield Chapel records which are online. If my memory serves, there are indeed some of his children baptised there, but no Bathsheba. I was particularly hopeful of finding her there as her future husband Thomas Sykes was baptised there in 1792.

Bathsheba and Thomas lived in Tunnicliffe Hill, Almondbury.

I think I've exhausted any noncon records for the area that are on either FindMyPast or Ancestry but I will certainly check out those marriages you mentioned of children of Benjamin Boothroyd in case there are any witnesses mentioned. I have a feeling, though, that Bathsheba's family may have been a bit lower profile than that.

I've also tried to cover the angle that she may have been born illegitimately and changed her surname when her mother married but there aren't that many Bathshebas born in the relevant timeframe (1802 ish) and none fit that particular scenario, as far as I can make out.

Its a minefield! Thanks, once again, for taking the trouble to look into it - two heads are always better than just the one! Who knows? One day.....
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 04 February 20 18:05 GMT (UK) »
Found this

Name:   Butroyd
Christening Date:   25 Jan 1804
Christening Date (Original):   25 JAN 1804
Christening Place:   
INDEPENDENT,HIGHFIELD BY HUDDERSFIELD,YORK,ENGLAND
Birth Date:   11 Nov 1803
Father's Name:   John Butroyd
Mother's Name:   Sarah
GEDmatch M157477

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 04 February 20 18:07 GMT (UK) »
and this - not keen on naming the babies ::)

Name:   
Buthroyd
Residence Place:   
Almondbury, York, England
Christening Date:   29 May 1803
Christening Date (Original):   29 May 1803
Christening Place:   Almondbury, York, England
Father's Name:   John Buthroyd
GEDmatch M157477

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 04 February 20 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Medpat has probably cracked it!
 ----------
Wills
John Boothroyd of Moss, P. of Campsall 1854. T. value 200, further away and a bit late (unless written before 1844).

Regarding John, perhaps an original York registered Will Bundle / Admin file  listed on (f m p) to 1858 at the Borthwick on m/f (Volumes), or originals obtainable as Colour pdf scans from the Borthwick, below might mention Bathsheba?

Not every Will names individual children, but Wills listed below might be useful to work out which John?

Pre 1858 York Admin files vary greatly in detail.

Not everyone left a Will or has an Admin.

Mark

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 05 February 20 13:12 GMT (UK) »
Mark and medpat,

This is getting quite exciting! but I'm reining myself in so as not to be too disappointed when it doesn't pan out!!

The 1804 Independent, Highfield baptism is certainly looking plausible. The mother's name is also plausible (though I know naming patterns were starting to die out by this time). Thomas and Bathsheba had all daughters (another reason its been so hard to find a possible father for her - I'd imagined a biblical name!): their first was Mary (name of Thomas's mother) but their second (died in infancy) and fourth were Sarah and then Sarah Ann (the latter was my 2xgreat grandmother). I tend to think that, if they've used a forename twice following an infant's death, then that name is usually a parental or at least family name).

I find it strange that the second unnamed baptism you mention, medpat, doesn't even identify the baby's gender!! Did they not bother to look!!

As for wills, I have ordered quite a few Boothroyd wills from the Borthwick over the years but never struck lucky. I'd forgotten I even have Rev Benjamin's will of 1836 - children mentioned but no Bathsheba. I have wills for Richard, Joseph, Michael etc etc but, of the John Boothroyds, I have:
1831 farmer of Quarmby cum Lindley, Huddersfield -   names children but no Bathsheba

1839 innkeeper of Holmfirth - names wife Nancy and children, but no Bathsheba.  (looks to be the last one on your list, Mark)

1832 fancy manufacturer of Honley - names wife Martha, sons George and Beniah and mentions daughters but doesn't name them!

That last one could have been the right one but wife is Martha, not Sarah - unless Sarah died and he remarried? (cue: me looking for said possible death and marriage!)

I tend not to bother getting Admons anymore as they usually don't tell you much at all, but there are occasionally more details than you expect, so perhaps I'll go for it. It would be worth it to break down this brickwall which has stood solidly for over a decade.

Thanks!
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Online Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 05 February 20 15:41 GMT (UK) »
The Samuel Boothroyd mentioned earlier who married the daughter of the Revd Greatbatch was a prominent member of the Congregational Church in North Meols (Southport).  He was connected with Chapel Street Congregational Church and later with West End Congegational Church. His father in law Revd Greatbatch was the local Congregational Minister.