Author Topic: John Holcroft, Stapleford Abbott  (Read 363 times)

Offline akissling

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Holcroft, Stapleford Abbott
« on: Sunday 26 January 20 21:37 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find out more information about John Holcroft. He died in 1803 in Stapleford Abbott. I was lucky enough to find a will. He names his wife as Elizabeth (she died in 1810) and a brother James Holcroft who lives in Upholland, Lancashire. I am guessing he was born there as well in 1743 and their father is James Holcroft. In the will John mentions Thomas Oldham, Barge yard London. Thomas is “holding” his money according to the will. Thomas’s wife Eleanor Oldham and their infant son are buried in Stapleford Abbott and her death record from 1797 notes she is a “kinswoman” of Mr Holcroft. Thomas and Eleanor are my ancestors. Thomas also comes from Upholland originally. I’m going to assume Mr Holcroft is John Holcroft as he is the only Holcroft I can find there during this time. I am trying to figure out if John is related to Thomas or Eleanor (maiden name Jest/Just). Thomas Oldham was a linen merchant and John is listed as a farmer in his will. I am assuming John didn’t have children because they weren’t listed in the will. I can’t find a directory in Essex in the late 1700s which isn’t surprising but I also can’t find any newspaper articles either. I have tried a bit in Upholland but there are many more Holcrofts there and I got lost! Any suggestions of resources on finding out more about John in Essex that might help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Carey, McCabe, McKinnon, Barr, Curr, Templeton

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Holcroft, Stapleford Abbott
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 January 20 22:35 GMT (UK) »
I can give you a couple of Holcroft wills on FamilySearch, but are they connected to your John?
James Holcroft of Upholland, will proved 1806. It's dated 1792
There's a James buried there, 28 April 1806, a Gardener (have to be quite old). But has son John.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-DBLY-M5?i=369&cat=325936

And James Holcroft of Upholland, Gardener, proved 1834. Is certainly son of above, and he is probably the chap buried Upholland in Feb 1834, age 78
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-DYWS-TL5?i=353&cat=325936

Offline akissling

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: John Holcroft, Stapleford Abbott
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 January 20 00:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much. I didn't know that there were wills in the Family Search collection from Lancashire. I will see if I can make a connection. I really appreciate these links!
Carey, McCabe, McKinnon, Barr, Curr, Templeton