Author Topic: Sellick- 1841 CENSUS  (Read 1674 times)

Offline SellickAust

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Sellick- 1841 CENSUS
« on: Saturday 20 August 05 23:11 BST (UK) »
I am looking for James Sellick, all i have at present is that he would have been about 23, his fathers name was James but i do not have his mothers name at present.

My father talked about some of the family going to Wales from Somerset in about 1825.

Any information would be welcome as it would give me a search area.
Sellick,Wallace,Hase,Boardman,Trainer,Burston,Rowe,Logan,Street This information is Crown Copyright, from "http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
Re: Sellick- 1841 CENSUS
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 31 August 05 13:27 BST (UK) »
I don't have access to any 1841 census, but I do have the 1851 for Montgomeryshire.  There are no Sellick's listed.

Hope that helps narrow down your search very slightly :D

Jan
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline SellickAust

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 31 August 05 13:45 BST (UK) »
Thank you for looking

This side of the family is full of surprises, anything that narrows the search grid is of great help

thank you

;D

john
Sellick,Wallace,Hase,Boardman,Trainer,Burston,Rowe,Logan,Street This information is Crown Copyright, from "http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 31 August 05 14:35 BST (UK) »
Hi John,

the 1841 won't really help much - it doesn't give relationships, so you could have for example 3 Jones families, all none related living in one house - 2 of them lodgers/boarders.

It also doesn't give place of birth - just whether born in county yes/no.

If they moved to Somerset in 1825, they won't be in a Welsh census, but Somerset wouldn't help much either. Your best bet would be Somerset 1851. that might give his place of birth, then you could search the parish records.

I've had a look on the IGI but found no James Sellick that fits your description.

D
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline SellickAust

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 31 August 05 14:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks i will have a look, this side of the tree tends to have people who just disappear. I will try the 1861 census and see where that leads me

john

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 31 August 05 14:48 BST (UK) »
Just occurred to me: a lot of the 1851 census are indexed.

If you know roughly where about in Somerset the family moved to, an email to the local archive and/or library might bring some results.

Most archives/record offices now charge a search fee, BUT as 51 is indexed, they usually do it for nothing (well most of the ones I've dealt with in Wales do. Staffs don't).

Just a thought.

D
Stuck with:
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline SellickAust

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 31 August 05 14:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you

I will follow up on that

;D

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 31 August 05 15:30 BST (UK) »
D ap D

My father talked about some of the family going to Wales from Somerset in about 1825.

The family would be in Wales in 1841 ;D ;D ;D ;D
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 31 August 05 16:10 BST (UK) »
Sorry, missed that word.

The principle is still the same though, albeit a bit more difficult not knowing where abouts in Wales. Later census, online, might be of more use then.

And he still isn't in the IGI.

D
Stuck with:
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio