Author Topic: Compositor printing  (Read 1223 times)

Offline Wall243

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Compositor printing
« on: Tuesday 28 January 20 22:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

My grandfather worked in the print for most of his life as a compositor.

I'm looking for a gift or experience, day out that relates to this for his birthday.

Were based around Essex/Suffolk but could take a trip to london for the day.

We have been to the jarold print museum in Norwich before but that's closed ATM. I'm looking for something similar that we can enjoy together.

Your help and guidance much appreciated!
H x

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Compositor printing
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 February 20 18:10 GMT (UK) »
If you're in Scotland, near Hawick, there's a National Trust  for Scotland place, at Innerleithin or similar, a Printers that still runs and prints commercially locally, but you can go round it, either as a tour or less formally. It's really good, practical, hands- on experience, a little actual type setting in a composing stick, and printing it. Really worthwhile, if you can get there. Can't recall the name of the firm, but I had training in old fashioned printing, and  we really enjoyed it - been back a couple of times.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 February 20 18:24 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.

I am sure you must have seen this - but just in case you haven't;

https://www.britishprintingmuseum.org.uk/
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 February 20 22:45 GMT (UK) »
The name I was thinking of was Robert Smailes.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)