Author Topic: Need Help Deciphering A Crofting Hamlet Name In Dailly parish 1700's  (Read 2592 times)

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Need Help Deciphering A Crofting Hamlet Name In Dailly parish 1700's
« on: Friday 31 January 20 08:09 GMT (UK) »
Greetings

I have a bunch of relatives from Dailly parish area in the 1700's. On their birth certificates it says the same thing for all the kids. It says that the father David Stewart 1714 was born in "Cookiestown". I swear that is the closest thing it looks like. The record is listed

I spent many hours pouring over old parish maps of Ayrshire. It was so fun! I saw every wild name possible for crofting hamlets but nothing close to Cookiestown.

Does anyone have a clue what this location name is? Or where it is?

The attached image is from 1714. The writing of the word in 1750's is harder to read do to the penmanship. It always looks roughly like Cookiestown/toun.

Thanks in advance for any help. Hope the attachment works.
Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Need Help Deciphering A Crofting Hamlet Name In Dailly parish 1700's
« Reply #1 on: Friday 31 January 20 08:14 GMT (UK) »
Previous post was with the location was written in 1714. Here is how it is written in the 1750's for one of his children (all born in Dailly parish).
Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 31 January 20 09:28 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if he was born in County Tyrone, in Cookstown.

I would have a read of the following :-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cookstown

There may be a family link to the Stewarts.

Malky

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 31 January 20 09:40 GMT (UK) »
I wondered about Ireland.  There was a Cokistoun which seems to have been near Elgin in Morayshire - but that's about 240 miles from Dailly according to the AA route map.  I can't find any likely place in or near Ayrshire.

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 31 January 20 09:48 GMT (UK) »
Information on Dailly is on http://ayrshireroots.co.uk

Sadly Cookistown is not mentioned but there is a transcript of the 1841 census which lists every abode. I thought it might be of interest if you have not seen it before?

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 31 January 20 09:55 GMT (UK) »
i used the old military map of 1750 and others and went inch by inch first around Dailly parish area then circled out. I get a strong feeling its nearby old dailly or dailly kirk as all the other names i could decipher from other births were around. I also did see a Cookistown hamlet in Aberdeenshire on an old map.

Thanks by the way,

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 01 February 20 21:00 GMT (UK) »
If it just says 'in Cookistown' it is a place in the same parish, or maybe just over the border of a neighbouring parish. If it were in Ireland or some other parish it would specify where. So please don't get sidetracked into looking for Cook(i)(e)sto(w)ns in Aberdeenshire, Moray, Ireland or indeed the other one that springs to mind, in the parish of Brechin.

It's not listed in the OS Name Book, and I haven't found it on the older maps, so either it's a cottage or croft that had vanished by the 1840s, or its name had changed before then.

Unless it's the place labelled Couston on https://maps.nls.uk/view/74400286, perhaps?

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 February 20 08:01 GMT (UK) »
I did consider coustoun and coriston and cookstoun. None quite fit that were in the parish and in all the birth records from 1714 to 1760 they use that same location Cookiestown. I have been able to find quite a few of the other crofts and hamlets listed in the same birth lists. Not this one though.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 02 February 20 09:52 GMT (UK) »
If you have found a Cookstoun in or very close to the parish of Dailly, that will be it.

Vowel sounds (a, e, i, o, u) are easily lost over time, but consonants aren't, so you are really looking for c*k*st*n, though one or more of the middle letters could also get lost.

A bit of a gamble, but you might like to read the Statistical Account of Dailly https://stataccscot.edina.ac.uk/static/statacc/dist/viewer/osa-vol10-Parish_record_for_Dailly_in_the_county_of_Ayrshire_in_volume_10_of_account_1/ - to see if it mentions the names of the heritors, that is, the people who owned the land, and then look in http://catalogue.nrscotland.gov.uk/scancatalogue/welcome.aspx and see if any of their estate records have survived and if so where they are. You might find rental records with names of tenants.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.