Author Topic: Need Help Deciphering A Crofting Hamlet Name In Dailly parish 1700's  (Read 2591 times)

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Need Help Deciphering A Crofting Hamlet Name In Dailly parish 1700's
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 02 February 20 19:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much. reviewing all that now.
Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 04 February 20 01:04 GMT (UK) »
I haven't got anywhere yet with tracing David Stewart through land/wills etc but I'm still reading about the tools and how the searching works and will keep on that.

Meanwhile I'm still looking over the old maps for a Cook____ anything in or close to Dailly Parish. One of the family documents I have that mentions Cookstown is from 1714 and the other is from 1750 which is right around the time of the Roy map.

From my g-drive:

1714 baptism record for David Stewart , Dailly
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kJYRhW6YpIvyscw3MJhr33s7le8IsBkR

1750 birth of David Stewart son of David Stewart , Dailly
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ayxX7Kth9hYeaAjC6NMOcOGWxd7TzIpf

The quality of the images is pretty bad to begin with so I left them intact and posted the links above. It has the entries for David Stewart and also all the neighbour children baptized with their parents crofting farm name. Like I said I have found many of the other names listed but nothing that starts with "Cook" yet.

It's kind of therapeutic looking at the old maps. Here's the 1752-ish Roy Military one I'm currently using to find "Cookiestown"

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=14&lat=55.2762&lon=-4.7266&layers=4&b=1

Thanks for the info so far and if anyone upon a crofting community in Dailly Parish named anything similar between 1714 and 1765 let me know.

Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Offline Creasegirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Ferguson (st fillans, comrie)
Garnock (lothian, fife)
Valet (london, switzerland)
Butcher (ramsgate, glasgow)
Blackbird (durham,  newcastle)
Barr (ayrshire, ireland)
Fleming (paisley)
Crone, croney ,(dumfriesshire, ireland)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 22 February 20 10:23 GMT (UK) »
I found reference to crookston in kilmarnock parish not sure if that helpful.
Not very. Kilmarnock is in Cunninghame, north of Ayr. Dailly is in Carrick, south of Ayr. They are nearly 50 miles apart.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 22 February 20 16:08 GMT (UK) »
You won't find it on a Roy's Map which is not the original 1000 yards/inch but the revised and published 4000yard/inch version which was produced later.  Reason for this reduction was the amount of rolls produced in the original survey. 

Most Crofts being small are likely those marked by a red dot and not named on this version and perhaps not even the original.  So you probably have wandered your eyes over it without even realizing it.

Don

I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 28 February 23 18:34 GMT (UK) »
I suspect that Cookieston is very close to Drumburle on the north bank of the Water of Girvan. It may have been the miller's croft there.

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17.0&lat=55.29247&lon=-4.69401&layers=5&b=1

Today someone sent me a link to an account of a friend's family written in the 19th century. The writer (a Stewart) tells of being in the Dailly area in 1828 and coming across relatives who said his ancestors had been millers at "Chuckie-Stane Mill", which was no longer extant.

Following this up, I found the family lived at Cookieston, which obviously morphed into "Chuckie-Stane". An Andrew Stewart is in the 1693 Dailly hearth tax roll living at Drumburle. An Andrew Stewart married in 1713 and proceeded to have children born at Cookieston from 1714 to 1720. His son, David, was miller at Drumburle Mill at the time of his marriage in 1741, and was in Cookieston when his children were baptised (from 1746 to 1756). It seems that there is a close connection between Drumburle and Cookieston.

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 01 March 23 05:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for the info. That's very interesting. I spent many the hour looking for Cookiestoun on the old maps. Great to learn this, cheers.