Author Topic: Buckley Butler of Kilkenny  (Read 2254 times)

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Buckley Butler of Kilkenny
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 02 February 20 23:02 GMT (UK) »
Yes thanks, I’ve utilized the following which were useful for Buckley and his lateral family and his descendants.
https://archive.org/stream/testamentaryreco00clar/testamentaryreco00clar_djvu.txt
https://books.google.com/books?id=usQuAAAAIAAJ&lr=&num=10

My main interest is in trying to see how Buckley (and his father and mother Thomas and Sarah) fits into the Butler family. These Butlers did not hold titles and so don’t show up in references like “The Chief Butlers of Ireland and the House of Ormond”. Given the timeframe and lack of records, perhaps this is not possible.

Buckley had at least 2 brothers.....one of which had a wife Elizabeth who died Inns Quay, Dublin, a widow.

So....could she be widow of John son.executor of  'untitled' Thomas, who had an untitled sister Mary and a titled brother Sir Richard?

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Dl0355

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 03 February 20 13:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. I’m familiar with the middle two excerpts from the Butler Testamentory document (Wallace Clare). Will have to consider how the other two fit.

Buckley shows up in the Betham Genealogical Abstracts for Edward Butler in 30 June 1736 which lists his wife Elizabeth, brother Buckley Butler and a second brother Thomas.

All assuming that Buckley Butler is a unique member of the Butler family.

Appreciate the assist.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 03 February 20 14:31 GMT (UK) »

Ahh well...I didn't know what brothers/sisters he had which left me wondering about John.

I was also looking at the Buckeleys and the reference to Sarah but all that said was wife of Butler, esq, Kilkenny...grrrr

I'd probably waste time looking at stuff you've already looked at.

At least the  son of maybe Thomas and Sarah has been sorted.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 03 February 20 15:08 GMT (UK) »

Your untitled Thomas probably slots into Pedigree in similar circumstances.....

Offline Dl0355

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 03 February 20 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I had assumed that Buckley was a surname used as a forename honoring either his mother or possibly a grandmother, though it could be just a sign of respect to a neighboring prominent family. Ultimately it will come down to whether any 18/19 century genealogically oriented author either captured records then that were later destroyed or decided to write about these branches of the Butler family. Unfortunately, the name Thomas Butler is hardly unique as each branch and each generation seems to have a Thomas Butler. At some point will check the NLI for documents and manuscripts hoping for pedigree charts. No one said it was going to be easy. Again, I appreciate your time and assistance.