Author Topic: Need some advice please  (Read 830 times)

Offline Helina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Willow
    • View Profile
Need some advice please
« on: Sunday 02 February 20 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Thought I had found the marriage and certificate on ancestry and after adding details on my family tree I viewed the saved certificate, now I am not so sure.

Joseph James Bryant born 1893 Wick and Abson Gloucestershire, parents Richmond Bryant and Elizabeth Peach, by occupation Richmond was a Carter in 1881 and a Lime Burner in 1901. Should mention that Richmond died in 1907.

Now the marriage I found on ancestry which looked correct, A Joseph James Bryant married a Caroline Rose Pride on the 5th June 1922 in Warmley Gloucestershire, Caroline was born in 1896 Warmley, Father was Ambrose Pride.  Now the doubt creeps in. The certificate gives the groom's age as 29,  living in Wick, a lorryman by occupation, in 1911 my Joseph was a Carter in a  flour mill.  But what really makes me doubt is on the certificate Joseph's father is called Richard Bryant, labourer.  I suppose Richmond and Richard with spelling and pronouncements could be accounted for.

I need in my mind do I go ahead and say yes this is the correct marriage, I have deleted the marriage now.  May not be any help but Joseph died in 1963, reg in Bristol.

Any help would be appreciated.

helina
Austin,Bistol
Coole,Bristol
Lewis, Bristol
Williams,Olveston
Howard,Bristol
Shepherd Admonsbury.
Tinney, Plymouth.
Ogborn,Bristol.
Blore.Derbyshire,Bristol,Redditch.
Richards,Bristol
Milson, Bitton
Harrison, Derbyshire
Census information Crown Copyright  from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Need some advice please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 02 February 20 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Joseph’s father died when he was 14, it is possible that throughout his childhood his dad was known as rich, or ricky in those days it was unheard of for children to address  their parents by their Christian name, and husband and wife often use pet names.
Much later on marriage Richard seems a good choice

The occupation change may reflect the arrival of motor vehicles in the early 1900s

Mike

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 02 February 20 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Have you found the couple on the 1939 National Register?
That would confirm dates of birth.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 02 February 20 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Taking it a step at a time the plus points are:
1 both the GRO and Free BMD only show one entry for a birth of a Joseph James Bryant in 1893 +/- which was registered in Chipping Sodbury Q2 1893 so that matches with the info on the cert, he would be about 29 when he married.
2 By 1922 carts were being replaced by motorised lorries, so the change in occupation is, in my opinion, related and quite possible. When the 1921 census is released I would think his occupation may be a match for the one on the marriage cert.
3 This couple show up on the 1939 register and the date of birth for him is a likely match for the birth registration in Chipping Sodbury. If you have a birth cert for him and the actual birth date agrees with what was recorded in 1939 that would lend more weight.

The father's name is a minus point but its very close to what you expected to see, and could well have been misheard/assumed if the man had been known locally by a shortened form of his name.

Have you tried local newspapers to see if there is a marriage announcement/ death announcements his parents to see if there is any mention of Joseph/Caroline. If there's something like that it could help confirm it.

Sometimes, we have to decide if, on balance, a particular record is likely to be the right one, albeit with an error on one particular point.  I'd have that in the 'highly likely category, but only you can decide.

Boo

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 February 20 11:44 GMT (UK) »

The 1939 census - confirms correct couple - dates of birth/occupation etc.

Offline Helina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Willow
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 02 February 20 11:54 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Capetown, Tickettyboo,  KGarrad and Mazi,  for your advice I think I came to that decision but needed support, and on top of that I have found that Joseph James was buried in Warmley.  So Caroline is back on my tree.

helina
Austin,Bistol
Coole,Bristol
Lewis, Bristol
Williams,Olveston
Howard,Bristol
Shepherd Admonsbury.
Tinney, Plymouth.
Ogborn,Bristol.
Richards,Bristol
Milson, Bitton
Harrison, Derbyshire
Census information Crown Copyright  from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 February 20 12:00 GMT (UK) »

The 1939 census - confirms correct couple - dates of birth/occupation etc.

1939 wasn't a census! ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 02 February 20 12:25 GMT (UK) »
I've just had a quick poke round the electoral registers . Though these ones are listed alphabetically rather than house by house, which doesn't help trying to see who lived in a particular house.

Did Joseph James have a brother called George? If so the 1927 register shows an Elizabeth Bryant (possibly his Mum, still on the register though she died in 1926? The register may well have been compiled prior to her death) at Mill Cottage, Wick.  The only other Bryant listed at Mill Cottage was a George. IF your Joseph had a brother called George then this would indicate he no longer lived at home with Mum and lend a little more weight to this marriage. Joseph James and Caroline Rose are on the same register but their address just says Wick.

Its not conclusive, but taken with everything else its a good sign.

Boo

Offline Helina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Willow
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 02 February 20 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Boo,  Yes Joseph had a brother called George.  George William born 1900.
Thanks
helina
Austin,Bistol
Coole,Bristol
Lewis, Bristol
Williams,Olveston
Howard,Bristol
Shepherd Admonsbury.
Tinney, Plymouth.
Ogborn,Bristol.
Richards,Bristol