Author Topic: SWITZERLAND FRIDOLIN SCHRANER dob 29 1 1876 - PROBABILITY SULZ CANTON OF ARGOVIA  (Read 295 times)

Offline schio

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can anyone tell me if there would have been any records of someone leaving Switzerland around 1896 to work in Dorset England.  The abovenamed was a hotel porter in the Mont Dore Hotel in Bornemouth Dorset. We have found evidence in the Census records of 1901.

We are assuming that Passports were used at this time.

Fridolin had a father Bernardt Schraner and mother (unknown)

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Schio

Offline pb_devon

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SWITZERLAND FRIDOLIN SCHRANER dob 29 1 1876 - PROBABILITY SULZ CANTON OF ARGOVIA
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 February 20 08:02 GMT (UK) »
The Canton name is Aargau in German, you have used the Italian version.  Aargau is in German speaking Switzerland.
Nothing exists (nor records kept) of inter-europe passengers. A very faint possibility  is an entry in the residents registers for the home community and/or the place they were living - not necessarily the same.
You could try with an enquiry to Sulz town hall. Some will try & help...others ignore your request (in my own experience).

For more info about researching Switzerland see my replies in this recent post https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=825024.0