Author Topic: Census info on Familysearch  (Read 31731 times)

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Census info on Familysearch
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 12 February 20 14:14 GMT (UK) »
Chris Paton has been reporting on this on his excellent blog (he has reverted to calling it Scottish Genes).

See the attached link : note that on his first post on the subject he provides a link to the Rootscat thread!

https://scottishgenes.blogspot.com/
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 12 February 20 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for this update, Millmoor.
Life has interrupted my FH research this past week. But hopefully all will be well on Familysearch soon and I'll get back on to it

Looby :)

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 13 February 20 10:14 GMT (UK) »
Nice long reply from FS on this (including advice to clear cookies, try another browser, etc., etc.). In essence, they say that work is being done on the records but there are no plans to remove them permanently (pretty much the same as they told Gadget). They said all records were restored now and sent a scan of this which I couldn't find in the email. When I checked from my account, they weren't there - and I sent them a scan of this.

One thing that occurred to me is that FS people/volunteers have different accounts to those of the general public, and these accounts have many more records (hence why you have to go to their centres to see certain images). I wonder if they are seeing these records on their systems, whilst the general public can't. I'll ask this if/when they reply again.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 13 February 20 10:50 GMT (UK) »
It sounds very much like my experience with them last week, Flemming.  I gave up as I can use FindMyPast and then SP, if necessary.  It's not fair on those who don't have subs though  :(

The snip that they send is tucked away at the very bottom of their e-mail. If I remember correctly, it's just a file name that you then have to click on.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 13 February 20 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Yes, there's a url there but it doesn't open. They resent it as a png and I can see all the records there. This came from a general public account, apparently, and so there must be an issue somewhere else in the system. There's one other trick I've tried before and I'll give this a go now.

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 14 February 20 22:16 GMT (UK) »
The one other trick didn't work and FS has said 'sorry, goodbye.' It would be interesting to know if anyone else can access the full number of Scotland records (c. 3 million for each of the censuses), perhaps to help identify why the rest of us can't see them.

Offline kathleenmitchell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 17 February 20 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,
I have spoken to someone I know in the LDS genealogy section in Utah and you are not going to like it, I know I didn’t.

“The Scottish government did not renew their records contract with the LDS FHL and removed all access to their records including the microfilm at the FHL”. This is because they want to make money from the records, now the only way is to purchase on Scotland’s People.

I am raging, these records are better transcribed than most of Scotland’s People.

Another money making scheme.

Kathy
GREENOCK.  Mitchell, Foley, Ferguson, Sweeney, Beckett, Sheekey, Branchfield, McDermid, Crighton, Canavan
LIVERPOOL. Otty, Holmes, Crighton
CO TYRONE, FERMANAGH, ANTRIM, DERRY.   Mitchell, Elliott,Dowds, Mcguire, McFall
COUNTY CARLOW. Foley, Doyle
DENMARK. Holm
WIGTOWNSHIRE.  Ferguson, Milroy, Dickson, Gunlock, Aitcheson/Hutcheson

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 17 February 20 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the bad news, kathleenmitchell  ;D

If this is correct, it is a terrible shame. Will all the OPR, birth and marriage records be affected, I wonder?

Looby :)

Offline kathleenmitchell

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 17 February 20 16:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi
As I understand it, it is everything
GREENOCK.  Mitchell, Foley, Ferguson, Sweeney, Beckett, Sheekey, Branchfield, McDermid, Crighton, Canavan
LIVERPOOL. Otty, Holmes, Crighton
CO TYRONE, FERMANAGH, ANTRIM, DERRY.   Mitchell, Elliott,Dowds, Mcguire, McFall
COUNTY CARLOW. Foley, Doyle
DENMARK. Holm
WIGTOWNSHIRE.  Ferguson, Milroy, Dickson, Gunlock, Aitcheson/Hutcheson