Author Topic: Walter Fisher bapt 1725/6 Lichfield St Chad  (Read 1744 times)

Offline fisherj

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Walter Fisher bapt 1725/6 Lichfield St Chad
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 05 February 20 17:11 GMT (UK) »
I really appreciate all the help on this.

You can see my dilemma.

Walter Fisher and Decima Jones married in Castle Coombe.  So there's the Castle Combe connection to the wealthy Walter Fisher.

But the ages given in the Bath burial records do not match their christening dates. 

Thanks again for all the details in your reply.
Woodmancote:  Hobbs; Davison
Bisley:  Fisher
Eastcombe:  Winstone
Chalford:  Lambert
Newent:  Bowkett
Llangurig: Owen; Jones
Llangurig & Bedlinog: Rees
Llanonn: Williams
Charfield:  Fowler; Selman
Olveston:  Fisher
Batheaston: Fisher
Andover, Hurstbourne, Woodcutt, Shinfield: Farmer & Tanner
Alresford: Sprangle; Hack
Martletwy & Llangwig:  Davies

Online Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 06 February 20 13:55 GMT (UK) »
Have just read:

The History of the BATH - Fishers'  which is on the net

---

The Survey of Bath and District No. 24 2009

71 hits of the surname: FISHER - headed

Nathaniel FISHER, Rough-Mason (1761/2 - 1749) by Allan Keevil

and

The Survey of Bath & District No. 19 November 2004 by Allan Keevil

The Line of Wealthy Batheaston Clothiers all named John FISHER (including 3 transcribed Fisher Wills - one for John FISHER 1625 of Batheaston (they also appear to be farmers) and he mentions his Uncle Henry FISHER, and his Cousin William - re  4 Tenements lying in Shakemoore within the Parish of Colerne in the County of Wilts -

? Walter FISHER baptised 18 May 1721, Colerne, Wilts

--

---

Searching the Bath Record office  - Records for Family History  -

FISHER - a number of them

including

FISHER, Mr Walter, Walcot, Gay Street, 2 April 1772 - Rte: 9sh 8d. (Lodging House) - City Rates etc

FISHER, Mr Walter, Walcot, Gay Street (May 1775) - By Mrs Dancy - Parish Poor Rate - etc

FISHER, Mr Walter, St James - Gallaway Street - 24 June 1781 - Rate: 7sh. City Rates etc.

**  Google Books

The Strangers' Assistant and Guide to Bath. Etc. (With a Map)

Fifher, Grove
Fifher, North-parade
Fifher, Gay-Street
Fifher, Circus

---

? There is a chance, Walter FISHER c1725 may have been a non-conformist

as Brice FISHER - who married 20 July 1732, at St Mary de Strand, London to Ann De La Chambre - this was a Non-conformist marriage.  (Ancestry)

--

Held at Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre

Date: 1764

Wiltshire Deeds - COLERNE

Assignment from Nicholas PEARCE the elder, clothier to Nicholas PEARCE the younger with consent of Brice FISHER the loan of the water mill known as Widenham Mill

Offline fisherj

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 06 February 20 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all the information - and this is not even the Somerset forum!

I had seen the articles by Alan Keevil in my research on my ancestor Henry Fisher (1712 - 1791) who was a prominent builder in Bath sometimes working with his friend Thomas Jelly.  Henry's brother Nathaniel and Abraham were also masons though not so well known.  They, the Fishers, came from Batheaston though other than their parents being Henry Fisher and Mary, I have no other information that goes back further.  Nathaniel died before them and left them a house in his will.

My direct ancestor is their sister Jane Fisher who was not married at the time she gave birth to Samuel Fisher (one of the beneficiaries in Henry's will).  She later married Robert Lidiard who was also a mason as was his brother Thomas Lidiard.

Henry Fisher built the Old Theatre Royal and most of Gallaway Buildings in Bath.

So now we come to this Mr Fisher.......

The Bath Chronicle states that Mr Fisher was the ticket box keeper and that tickets were available through him either at the theatre or Gallaway Buildings. 

The Bath Chronicle also notes his death though not his first name.  Which has to be the Walter Fisher who married Decima Jones in Castle Combe.  (Parish records and Bath Archive Burials) 

A Walter Fisher, grocer, invested with Thomas Jelly and Henry Fisher on 4 buildings in the centre of Bath.  I really think that is the same person because I have not found another Walter Fisher in Bath at the same time (looking at burials in Bath).

And thanks to you I have found out lots of information but as yet I cannot link (as yet) for sure my known family to Walter Fisher or John Fisher's (Batheaston) family.  Or Walter Fisher to John Fisher's family.

Lots of interesting possible suggestions of links!  I am still trying to figure it out!!

Many thanks

Offline Wyvol

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 08 October 21 11:11 BST (UK) »
Walter Fisher Baptised at Lichfield is a bit of a mystery.  As he married at Castle Combe, it seems likely that he was related to the Fisher family of Castle Combe, but they were largely clothiers, Brice Fisher became a Blackwell Hall Factor but was also a director of Sun Insurance, MP for Malmesbury, Wilts and later Boroughbridge, Yorks and engaged with his brothers in the triangular trade.  He also owned plantations in the W Indies.

His father Walter owned mills in Castle Combe and Colerne apart from inherited property from his own father Walter Fisher of Bitton who was a yeoman farmer.  This Walter was the youngest son of Henry Fisher of Newton St Loe, also a yeoman Farmer.  Henry's family were copyholders in Newton St Loe but also freeholders in the Chew Valley.  There is no evidence of any connection to either the Bath Fishers who seem to have been largely builders and property developers, or the Batheaston-Bathampton-Claverton Fishers who were substantially involved in the cloth trade as clothiers etc.
Intriguingly, there are connections between the Goodhind family of Saltford with both the Bathampton Fishers and the Newton St Loe Fishers.
Brice Fisher's brother Walter married Rachel Jones at Bristol and a son Walter was baptised at Castle Combe in 1721. These are just some of the Fisher families in the Bath area.

Offline fisherj

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 08 October 21 12:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Wyvol
So no connection between the families - though Henry Fisher was born in Batheaston.
Fisher appears to have been a common surname back then! 
Many thanks again for taking the time to set out all this information.

Offline LankyLad

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 31 March 23 23:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the information - and this is not even the Somerset forum!

I had seen the articles by Alan Keevil in my research on my ancestor Henry Fisher (1712 - 1791) who was a prominent builder in Bath sometimes working with his friend Thomas Jelly.  Henry's brother Nathaniel and Abraham were also masons though not so well known.  They, the Fishers, came from Batheaston though other than their parents being Henry Fisher and Mary, I have no other information that goes back further.  Nathaniel died before them and left them a house in his will.

My direct ancestor is their sister Jane Fisher who was not married at the time she gave birth to Samuel Fisher (one of the beneficiaries in Henry's will).  She later married Robert Lidiard who was also a mason as was his brother Thomas Lidiard.

Henry Fisher built the Old Theatre Royal and most of Gallaway Buildings in Bath.

So now we come to this Mr Fisher.......

The Bath Chronicle states that Mr Fisher was the ticket box keeper and that tickets were available through him either at the theatre or Gallaway Buildings. 

The Bath Chronicle also notes his death though not his first name.  Which has to be the Walter Fisher who married Decima Jones in Castle Combe.  (Parish records and Bath Archive Burials) 

A Walter Fisher, grocer, invested with Thomas Jelly and Henry Fisher on 4 buildings in the centre of Bath.  I really think that is the same person because I have not found another Walter Fisher in Bath at the same time (looking at burials in Bath).

And thanks to you I have found out lots of information but as yet I cannot link (as yet) for sure my known family to Walter Fisher or John Fisher's (Batheaston) family.  Or Walter Fisher to John Fisher's family.

Lots of interesting possible suggestions of links!  I am still trying to figure it out!!

Many thanks

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I just came across it now. fisherj, would you be able to point me in the right direction on where you got some info. Our family trees appear to connect at William Fisher (1828-1906) and Sarah Hobbs (1826-1865). Is the Henry Fisher (1712-1791) that you mention an ancestor of the Samuel Fisher who married Mary Fowler in 1804? If so, could you please provide some info on how they connect? I have gotten a bit stuck at that generation.