Author Topic: Thomas CASS - Surveyor born 1817 in Yorkshire, possibly Brafferton  (Read 1385 times)

Offline Thatman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas CASS - Surveyor born 1817 in Yorkshire, possibly Brafferton
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 09 February 20 06:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all your input. I need to sit down and carefully map everything out but it appears that Thomas was one of six and his father was Michael.

Thanks everyone.
DYETT - Hampshire, London
DOWRICK - Cornwall
O'SHANASSY (variants) Galway, Vic Aus, New Zealand
HUGHES - Wrexham
HOLM - Norway, Germany

Offline WellHouse365

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas CASS - Surveyor born 1817 in Yorkshire, possibly Brafferton
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 05 August 23 13:25 BST (UK) »
Not sure if this is still live, I can confirm that jonw65 was correct, Thomas Cass was the son of Michael Cass and Jane Thickbroom.  Michael was born in Yorkshire, to a large family (he was one of eight), his parents ran the Three Tuns in Thirsk.  Michael was a Linen Draper in Soho, and he died in 1825, leaving his wife with three sons and three daughters: Elizabeth, Jane, John, William, Thomas and Mary.  John became a master mariner, and married Jane Beard. William became a GP in Cowes (Isle of Wight) and married Caroline Rowe, Thomas relocated to New Zealand he did train as a mariner first. His brother John sailed to NZ and Australia fairly regularly. The daughters became governesses, and two married after their mother died. Elizabeth becoming 'Betty Townsend', Jane becoming 'Jane Balls'.  So although Thomas had his family roots firmly in Yorkshire it is not true that he was born there, he was born in London. Hope this helps (I am a descendant of John Cass, Thomas's older brother, we have the family Bible of Michael's parents, listing all the eight children's baptisms).