Author Topic: 'The case is altered' public house Algarkirk Boston  (Read 3074 times)

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
Re: 'The case is altered' public house Algarkirk Boston
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 08 February 20 12:09 GMT (UK) »
What a picture is painted of Robert & his outfit! Great read, Jool.
The newspaper report mentions that the clothes were still kept by the family as an heir loom. Wouldn't it be fabulous if Worth posted "We wondered what that strange blue outfit we found in granny's attic was"  ;D ;D
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline worth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 08 February 20 14:35 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou all for your help, the newspaper description of Robert Hanks is brilliant, I wish I knew which family member had Roberts clothes as they would be awesome to see. Ill have a look through all the other you have given me now xx

Offline Birdthrow

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 05 January 21 01:10 GMT (UK) »
We are almost certainly related. 

My grandmother was Dorothy Hanks.  Her sister was Edith Hanks.  Their parents were Eliza Hanks (née Minns) and Arthur Hanks.  Arthur Hank's father was Frederick Joseph Hanks.

I'm attaching a photo of The Case is Altered (the name was later changed to "The Case Has Altered"). It shows my great-grandmother, Eliza Hanks, standing in front of the pub (and house; the pub entrance is to the right and back, with the sign visible above the door); in front of her is my great-aunt Edith and my grandmother Dorothy, shortly before they emigrated to the United States, so sometime prior to 1907.

I have two other photos of the pub, one as it is now (unless it was torn down in the last few years), and one showing it about 50 years ago, but this site will not allow me to upload either of them as they are too large.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 05 January 21 10:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello Birdthrow, Welcome to RootsChat.

You are allowed to attach images upto 900kb in size, you may need to reduce the size of your larger images to attach them to the topics.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 05 January 21 17:33 GMT (UK) »
Lost pubs also has it as 'The case was altered'
https://www.closedpubs.co.uk/lincolnshire/algarkirk_caseisaltered.html
They are definitely wrong. I have used both pubs.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Birdthrow

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 05 January 21 21:23 GMT (UK) »
I have reduced the file sizes on both pictures; maybe I can get them posted this time.

Lots of changes are evident, especially in the more recent photo, but it's obvious that it's the same structure.

About the three people shown in the oldest photo...all three of them were present during my childhood.  There is a much higher definition photo that someone in the family has; even as young as they were in the photo, they're clearly recognizable as my grandmother and my Aunt Edie. My great-grandmother was still alive, but very old and barely lucid due to a series of strokes. I do remember her, though.  It is a little surreal to look at a photo taken approximately 115 years ago and see the faces of people I knew and spoke to.