Author Topic: What is this blue flower??  (Read 8360 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What is this blue flower??
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 08 February 20 22:33 GMT (UK) »
Plus I would not rely on it being blue...Scallop shells are not blue!! A badly painted Lily?
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Lilies_in_heraldry#/media/File:Blason_ville_fr_Neufvillage_57.svg
It might even be a larkspur.  :) (Couldn't resist)
Cowban

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 10 February 20 16:06 GMT (UK) »
 ;)
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline MaecW

• RootsChat Senior
  • Yma o hyd
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 13 February 20 05:12 GMT (UK) »
As Kiltpin asked earlier, can you give us any information about the Arms you have illustrated ? What are they on and are there any names attached?
To my eye they look as if they could have been drawn in the 18th or early 19th century and include the arms of Stanley (Errington of Sandhoe), Saville and, maybe, Ross. I can't get the one with the woolsacks yet ( ! )
If these are American arms (are they?) then do the "flowers" represent the means of the family's wealth ? Just a thought, although they don't seem to be the more obvious sugar, tobacco, or cotton.

More information will help, please.

Maec
Baron (of Blackburn), Chadwick (Oswaldtwistle), Watkins (Swansea), Jones (x3 Swansea), Colton (Shropshire), Knight (Shropshire/Montgomery) , Bullen (Norfolk), White (Dorset)