Author Topic: Infant Death at Broadgreen Emergency Hospital in 1946-What Happened Afterwards?  (Read 2038 times)

Offline pirhana

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Infant Death at Broadgreen Emergency Hospital in 1946-What Happened Afterwards?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 10 February 20 19:57 GMT (UK) »
To LizzieW,tickettyboo, KGarrad and a-I thank you for all your information and suggestions. Regarding the BBC feature about stiilborn children I did read something about it but will now try to contact the lady concerned as well as exploring other avenues.My parents were living fairly close to West Derby cemetery in 1946 but as I said in my original post I've always had the gut feeling that there wasn't a funeral.As I believe there were maternity facilities at Broadgreen hospital once the NHS started in the late 1940s I imagine there may have been other cases there like mine.If stillborn and other deceased infants were buried at the local cemetery together with an adult where would that be ? Allerton? Anfield? Cemetery records should hold the key ( hopefully!) so that would seem to be the way to go.

Pirhana
Dinsdale ( North Yorkshire , Wolverhampton & North Wales) , Alderson ( North Yorkshire )Hill ( Toxteth ) , Morland ( North Yorkshire )  , Simpson ( Nathan- Lead miners North Yorkshire ), Walsh( Midlothian ), Webster ( Henry-Midlothian & Newcastle )

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Infant Death at Broadgreen Emergency Hospital in 1946-What Happened Afterwards?
« Reply #10 on: Monday 10 February 20 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Quoting from The Births and Deaths Registratiion Act 1926:

7   Registration of still-births

(1)The birth of every still-born child shall be registered by the registrar in a register of still-births containing the heads of information prescribed in the First Schedule to this Act.

(2)In the case of every still-birth, it shall, unless there has been an inquest, be the duty of the person who would, if the child had been born alive, have been required by the Births and Deaths Registration Acts, 1836 to 1901, to give information concerning the birth, to give information to the registrar of the particulars required to be registered concerning the still-birth; and every such person upon giving information shall either—

(i)deliver to the registrar a written certificate that the child was not born alive, signed by a registered medical practitioner or certified midwife who was in attendance at the birth or who has examined the body of such child; or

(ii)make a declaration in the prescribed form to the effect that no registered medical practitioner or certified midwife was present at the birth, or has examined the body, or that his or her certificate cannot be obtained and that the child was not born alive.

(3)Subject to the provisions of this Act, and subject to the prescribed exceptions, the provisions of the Births and Deaths Registration Acts, 1836 to 1901, shall apply to the registration and entry of a still-birth as they apply to the registration or entry of the birth of a child born alive.

(4)The registrar upon registering a still-birth shall, if so required, give, either to the person giving information concerning the still-birth or to the person who has control over or who ordinarily buries bodies in a burial ground in which it is intended to bury the still-born child, a certificate under his hand in the prescribed form that he has registered the still-birth, but may, on receiving written notice of a still-birth accompanied by a certificate given by a registered medical practitioner or certified midwife under the foregoing provisions of this section, before registering the still-birth give to the person sending the notice a certificate that he has received notice of the still-birth, and any certificate given under this subsection shall be given without fee.

And:

5     Burial of still-born children

It shall not be lawful for a person who has control over or who ordinarily buries bodies in any burial ground to permit to be buried or to bury in such burial ground a still-born child before there is delivered to him either a certificate given by the registrar under the provisions of this Act relating to still-births or, if there has been an inquest, an order of the coroner.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline pirhana

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 10 February 20 23:28 GMT (UK) »
To KGarrad, thanks for that information as well.

Pirhana
Dinsdale ( North Yorkshire , Wolverhampton & North Wales) , Alderson ( North Yorkshire )Hill ( Toxteth ) , Morland ( North Yorkshire )  , Simpson ( Nathan- Lead miners North Yorkshire ), Walsh( Midlothian ), Webster ( Henry-Midlothian & Newcastle )

Offline pirhana

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 19 February 20 12:08 GMT (UK) »
I am fortunate that I still have an elderly aunt alive who, despite being 92 is mentally very sharp and still has a very  good memory.I've never broached the subject of my brother's death with her before and so, following my original post on this site decided to contact her. She remembered it and confirmed without me asking her what lizzieW had said in her reply: i.e my mother told my aunt that she was informed by the hospital staff that the baby would be placed for burial in the coffin of an adult who had died.

Pirhana

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 19 February 20 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Pleased your aunt was able to help you.

Out of interest, did you try the cemetery records to see if he was recorded?

Boo

Offline pirhana

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 19 February 20 16:30 GMT (UK) »
To Tickettyboo, No not checked cemetery records yet,but it's on the "To Do"list!

Pirhana

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 19 February 20 19:18 GMT (UK) »
So pleased you had help from your Aunt.
It was common place then to bury a baby with an adult who was being buried . My brother was buried with a man , a stranger to us. The man at the cemetery gave me his name which I appreciated.