Author Topic: Memory Stick  (Read 1396 times)

Offline Ewan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Memory Stick
« on: Tuesday 11 February 20 15:38 GMT (UK) »
I have had census images saved to a memory stick for a number of years, I bought a set of 3 Cruzer Glide SanDisk memory sticks in the hope to save the same photos onto these.

On my original memory stick which is also from SanDisk I can click, for instance 1871 and all the the images for 1871 come up on the screen and then click anyone to view it.

On these new memory sticks I have bought I click on 1871 but no census images are appearing, I have clicked on the option 'icons' under the option 'view' there is no census image.

Please see attachment for what I can see instead of an image.

Any advise gratefully received
Ewan

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Memory Stick
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 February 20 15:54 GMT (UK) »
There is no safe type of material that will guarantee an archive will survive, though some materials will last longer than others, Vellum & paper last a long time in the correct environment, as is film and microfilm, magnetic media of all types is relatively unstable and carries a high risk of losing an archive for a number of reasons.
I would suggest that memory sticks never be used for anything other than short term storage such as transferring between hard drives. I would also suggest that to ensure safety an number of backups be made and regularly checked.
My own backup system uses 5 different hard drives at to completely separate locations, the cloud plus various other websites (but then some people think I am paranoid).  ;)

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Dyingout

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Father Charles in his hockey playing days
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 February 20 16:19 GMT (UK) »
All this talk of SSD's  (Solid State Drives)

Leaves me cold, if this is the technology that is the future, then some drastic over-engineering of the chips onboard is needed.
All it is using is the same chips that are currently in Pen drives. And most of the people I know have
lost data in Pen, Thumb. Sticks, drives .
Dow/Dowe Norfolk and Suffolk
Mulley/Wilden Suffolk
Loome/lombe Norfolk

Offline Ewan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 February 20 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the comments, Guy and Dyingout.

I have had the 3 new memory sticks for about 3 months now and I have never been able to ''view' any  images on them.

Ewan

Offline Isabel H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 February 20 10:06 GMT (UK) »
I was unable to open your attached image so don't know what it shows.
However, if I understand correctly, on your new memory stick you have your folders but they are empty of their contents?
If so, try this. With the memory stick plugged into your computer, go to File Explorer and open the 1871 folder on the computer. Use Ctrl+A to select all of the contents, then Ctrl+C (or if you find it easier, right click and Copy) to copy them. Now open the corresponding empty folder on the memory stick and Ctrl+V (or right click & Paste) to paste the files.
If that works, use the same procedure for the other folders.

If not, I would erase what's on the memory stick and start again, by first creating folders on the stick, and then using the above method to paste the contents into each one.
GRAY - Inveresk; Lanarkshire
LINDSAY - Lanarkshire
PURDIE - Lanarkshire; W. Lothian
POZZI - Elgin; Lancashire
MACKENZIE, MORISON - Stornoway
ARCHIBALD, HAY, HUNTER, SNADDON - Clackmannanshire
COXON, HALL, JACKSON, SHOTTON - Northumberland

Offline Ewan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 February 20 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Not sure the reason as to why you are not able to open the attachment.

When I click on the folders individually the image is shown, but what I am trying to do is to click on the folder for 1871 and see all the images for that year in front of me, as I can do for the older memory stick I have. 

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 February 20 13:56 GMT (UK) »
FWIW I can't open the attachment either?

I am only seeing DAIRY.gif - that's a Graphics Interchange File?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Gan Yam

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Going Home - exploring my past
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 February 20 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Not sure the reason as to why you are not able to open the attachment.

When I click on the folders individually the image is shown, but what I am trying to do is to click on the folder for 1871 and see all the images for that year in front of me, as I can do for the older memory stick I have.

You can see all the photos if you open them but you want to see the photo as a thumbnail before opening it,  as opposed to a "rectangle with mountains"?  If you go into the folder and click on View at the top of the page and then change it to icons or extra large icons or tiles and then you should be able to see the image as a preview thumbnail
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ewan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 12 February 20 15:06 GMT (UK) »
FWIW I can't open the attachment either?

I am only seeing DAIRY.gif - that's a Graphics Interchange File?

What you are seeing where it indicates an attachment is what I see when I am trying to view an image on the memory stick.  As Gan Yam described it a 'rectangle with mountains'

Gan Yam - I have clicked on 'view' previously and it gives me 3 options, Details, List, Icon. 
Tiles is not there, nor is extra large icons etc