Author Topic: Benson brick wall....  (Read 2550 times)

Offline Benarson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Benson brick wall....
« on: Tuesday 11 February 20 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone, I'm looking for suggestions on how to break the brick wall that is my 2x Great Grand Father. The history I have on him (so far) is below:

Robert Benson born approx. 1819
1841 census doesn't give a reliable match.
In 1851 census, living near Doncaster and suggesting year of birth and born 'USA BS' (British Subject?)
In 1861 census, still living near Doncaster and still suggesting year of birth and born 'Newark, United States'

He died in 1870, and therefore not in the 1871 census.

I am unable to locate birth or marriage records that are reliably him.

I believe that his 'wife' was Jane Ealand, by the fact I could trace the marriage of all other Janes reported being born in her area to other people or were deceased.

I spent a number of years scanning the USA records and only one match, however this match was someone associated with the families that created the American constitution and my man would have been very poor in comparison.

A book on the family history of Bensons in the Pateley Bridge area, written by Arthur Christopher Benson (who also wrote the words of 'Land of Hope and Glory'!) mentions the Hamlet of New York near Dacre and Summerbridge in West Yorkshire (Hence why I'm posting this here!). My feelings are that the Census records are incorrect for the place of birth, however I cannot find the desired records to confirm from the Dacre area. There is one birth similar to my man, born to John and Mary Benson - but he resides with his parents in Dacre having died around 1848.

There is hearsay from my late father that have suggested a number of avenues that have all turned up at dead ends. One such, is that there is supposed to be bastard in our ancestry and that the father was supposed to be the lord of Leeds Castle (I think this was possibly meant as a castle near Leeds, and not Leeds Castle, Kent as tracing the owners of that turned up nothing!). I haven't found any matches in the bastardy records either. My searching around pointed to Ripley Castle - North of Harrogate and a stones throw from Dacre. Apparently, a future Ingilby Baron had a romance with a local girl but was encouraged to marry a Scottish landowners daughter but I can't find who the local girl was. The Ingilby family are known to have been Catholic and I was wondering whether the local girls family were also catholic - but can find no clues in the Non-conformist registers.

I'm rather lost for other things to try, has anyone any suggestions?

Nigel Benson

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Benson brick wall....
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 February 20 16:15 GMT (UK) »
BENSON, CHARLOTTE       mmn EARLAND 
1850  March Quarter in DONCASTER UNION reg dist
Volume 22  Page 89

or a variation on MMN
BENSON, JOHN       HARLAND 
1848  June Quarter in DONCASTER UNION
Volume 22  Page 108
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 February 20 16:20 GMT (UK) »
BENSON, EMMA       mmn HARLAND 
1851  March Quarter in DONCASTER reg dist
Volume 22  Page 139

BENSON, MARY  JANE     mmn HEARLAND 
1852  Dec Quarter in DONCASTER reg dist
Volume 09C  Page 402

You can check for any others on the GRO website

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 February 20 16:28 GMT (UK) »

Offline Benarson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 February 20 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Rosie, I found all 11 of Robert and Janes children - but I can't find a marriage or birth for Robert - I'm looking for clues as to who his parents were - even if it turns out to be just his mother.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 February 20 02:22 GMT (UK) »
In 1861 census Robert Benson's birthplace is New York, America (not Newark as transcribed).

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Benarson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 February 20 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Annette, I think the USA steer is a red-herring. I think that the census takers have given a little poetic licence and decided that New York is in the USA. The hamlet of New York doesn't really exist anymore, but was likely a shanty town for mill workers at New York mill, Summerbridge, Dacre in West Yorkshire. I've looked through both New York and Newark records in great detail and the records don't match.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 February 20 15:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Rosie, I found all 11 of Robert and Janes children - but I can't find a marriage or birth for Robert - I'm looking for clues as to who his parents were - even if it turns out to be just his mother.

I was just mentioning that some of the birth registrations and the baptism had a MMN that 'matched' the Jane you were looking at.  You did not indicate that you had also got that information from the births so it confirmed your belief  :)

I believe that his 'wife' was Jane Ealand, by the fact I could trace the marriage of all other Janes reported being born in her area to other people or were deceased.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 12 February 20 16:10 GMT (UK) »
1851 age 32. (Born America -British Subject)
1861 age 42. (Born America -New York )

March qtr 1870 gives age as 47.    (Death Certificate)

I am not sure why you are doubting his American birth.  If his parents were in the US temporarily it is quite likely that you would find no evidence of his birth there.