Author Topic: William J Whitear b 1865  (Read 1040 times)

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William J Whitear b 1865
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 12 February 20 10:01 GMT (UK) »
Wrong surname  ??? What was his religion this William is noted as C of E - Wesleyan

According to the Religious Creed Register William Witchers born 1862 admitted to Portsmouth Workhouse in 1901 discharged 1902 (ref BG/W2/4)

Edited to remove CUT & PASTE ( not allowed on RootsChat) from copyright/subscription sources.  Please do not do this!!!! Thank you
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Salty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 12 February 20 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Ladyhawk,

I really do appreciate what you are doing. I know just how time consuming this game is, thank you.

I am pretty certain that he is not the William, as there were a couple born down south of the county about that time.

The death of his mother Mary was reported by a niece and the father Williams death was reported by his son in law.

So both sons well away from the scene!!! It really is odd.

Tom
KENT-CANTERBURY & DEAL areas.  Brient-Hitchcock-Reynolds-Pittock;O'Neill-Ireland-Whitman-Harvey-Martin-Norris
ESSEX-DEDHAM- Hitchcock
HANTS-BASINGSTOKE, PRESTON CANDOVER & surrounding areas, Mills-Whitman-Marshall-Whitear-Hall-Patience-Burke-Bulpit-Wise-Marlow-Page - Pragnell.
SOMERSET-FROME area, Marshall. Dredge.
WILTSHIRE-HORNINGSHAM area-Marshall
ABERDEEN-Middleton-Milne-Cruickshank-Stevenson-Ogg

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 12 February 20 18:12 GMT (UK) »
There was a J Whitear playing cricket for Preston Candover in the 1890's.

I saw that W J was recorded as "John" in the 1881 census.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 12 February 20 18:46 GMT (UK) »

The death of his mother Mary was reported by a niece and the father Williams death was reported by his son in law.

So both sons well away from the scene!!! It really is odd.

Hi Tom

On all the census records for WJW/JW that can be found his  mother is named Ann(e) - his baptism at Candover-Preston Hampshire 7 May 1865 parents William & Ann  his 1865 birth reg gives mmn PATIENCE same as his siblings Thomas, Mary & Eli
William Snr married an Ann Patience in 1849

Sorry  :( but I have had no luck at all in tracing the whereabouts after 1891c, a possible marriage or death for your William John WHITEAR ???  I'm sure you have checked all avenues, traced all of his siblings, possible mis-transcribed surname, checked passenger lists, Electoral Register etc...

I will keep my fingers crossed that maybe someone might find something for you...........

Edit

I’ve had a quick look and as far as I can see the only piece missing from 1901 census appears to be  village of Deal in Kent missing entirely from the 1901 census - no known copies available.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Salty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 13 February 20 07:52 GMT (UK) »
Dear Ladyhawk,

Thank you once again for everything that you have done it really is appreciated.

Yes I have traced all siblings and tried every different spelling, also just for John have even tried a name change which is what another brother did when he travelled to Australia.

With your reference to the Deal census being missing, Yes that was me too. Back in the early part of the 2000s when I started researching my fathers line, that loss of the Deal census stopped me in my tracks as my fathers family had moved from Canterbury to Deal and changed the family name. Trying to go backwards looking for the surname Whitman, absolutely nothing as they had changed it from Hitchcock to Whitman. Got there in the end though. All now proved through the DNA too.

Just have to keep my fingers crossed that something will come up for William one day.

Thank you so much once agaim
Tom
KENT-CANTERBURY & DEAL areas.  Brient-Hitchcock-Reynolds-Pittock;O'Neill-Ireland-Whitman-Harvey-Martin-Norris
ESSEX-DEDHAM- Hitchcock
HANTS-BASINGSTOKE, PRESTON CANDOVER & surrounding areas, Mills-Whitman-Marshall-Whitear-Hall-Patience-Burke-Bulpit-Wise-Marlow-Page - Pragnell.

Offline Salty

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 13 February 20 07:55 GMT (UK) »
There was a J Whitear playing cricket for Preston Candover in the 1890's.

I saw that W J was recorded as "John" in the 1881 census.

Thank you for that snippet Shaun, yes I have tried looking just under the name John too, no luck.

Tom
ESSEX-DEDHAM- Hitchcock