Author Topic: Masons of Whitechapel  (Read 1320 times)

Offline Lily M

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Masons of Whitechapel
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 15 February 20 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately, there’s a 1755 Whitechapel burial for an Elizabeth Mason, a child, of Rosemary Lane.

Looks like we’re back where we were.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 15 February 20 13:21 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately, there’s a 1755 Whitechapel burial for an Elizabeth Mason, a child, of Rosemary Lane.

Looks like we’re back where we were.

That is good as it possibly links the Mill Yard baptisms to the Rosemary Lane ones  ;D
Burial was 12 January 1755
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 15 February 20 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Burial St Mary Whitechapel 9 August 1764 for Ann Mason age 2 of White's Yard -smallpox

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 15 February 20 13:53 GMT (UK) »
The marriage I have is a clandestine marriage before the Marriage Act of 1753 with no indication of where it took place......
         Name Robert Mason Gender Male Event Type Marriage Marriage Date 9 Sep 1749 Marriage Place London, England Residence St Mary White Chapel Spouse Elizabeth Lee Spouse Residence St Mary White Chapel Piece Description Officiating Ministers: Tarrant. Tarrant's register. (1749 Apr - Oct) Household Members Name Age Robert Mason Elizabeth Lee
Robert Mason of St Mary White Chapel - occ Corder - Bachelor - and Elizabeth Lee of Same -Spinster
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Aussie Roy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 15 February 20 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I was trying to work back to double check your information but to be honest I found your initial post difficult to read as it was one very long paragraph so did not proceed with it as far as I would have liked.

As you have now confirmed that you have the marriage hopefully we can go back further with this.

This is where I get suspicious  Robert Mason has 9 children. One of these was Robert Mason 1757-1849 who went to America and fought for the rebels earning the nickname 'The Patriot'.  American contacts and trees I have seen have his mother as Elizabeth Dudley, I cannot find a marriage of a Robert Mason to a Dudley. I have a marriage 1749 to Elizabeth Lee.

Where the Americans get Elizabeth Dudley from I don't know. Maybe some clue in Ann Dudley Mason.

Baptised St Mary, Whitechapel - parents Robert & Elizabeth
William Mason 15 Dec 1750 - Mill Yard
Elizabeth Mason 25 Oct 1752 - Mill Yard (not on your list)
Sarah Mason 14 Feb 1755 - Rosemary Lane
Robert Mason 24 Apr 1757 - Rosemary Lane
Elizabeth Mason 22 Jul 1759 - Whites Yard
John Mason 29 Mar 1761 - White's Yard
Ann Dudley Mason 5 Dec 1762 - Whites Yard
Charlotte Mason 3 Jul 1765 - White's Yard
James Mason 4 Sep 1767 - Rosemary Lane
Charles Mason 25 Dec 1770 - Whites Yard.

Could it be that there are two different families here ?
It is definitely worth considering
Maybe, maybe not. Could be the same address....White's Yard and Glasshouse Street, running between Rosemary Lane [later Royal Mint Street] and East Smithfield, had been another glassmaking site. By the mid-19th century, the area was a maze of slums - cramped courts and alleys. It lay in the administrative district of St Mary Whitechapel, rather than that of St George-in-the-East.
Allen(Dorset),Barker(Essex), Batham, Burris, Champelovier(London, Clark (Suffolk), Clay (London), Elliott (Wilts), Faith (Sussex), Hawes (London), Heinemann (Germany),  Hussey (Dorset), Mason (London), Myers (Yorks/Lancs), Parker (Yorks), Phillips(Hamps),  Smith,(Wilts) Wingate (Sussex) , Wiseman, Townson Yorks), Want(Wilts) and more