Author Topic: Can’t trace grandmother  (Read 6549 times)

Offline Albufera32

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Daughter of ....on birth certificates
« Reply #126 on: Sunday 08 March 20 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Nancy is frequently a diminutive form of Agnes.

From what  you say, I would suggest Agnes = Nancy.
Howie (Riccarton Ayrshire)
McNeil/ McNeill (Argyll)
Main (Airdrie Lanarkshire)
Grant (Lanarkshire and Bo'ness)
More (Lanarkshire)
Ure (Polmont)
Colligan (Lanarkshire)
Drinnan (New Zealand)

Offline McKelvieClan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: Sunday 08 March 20 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Would someone have been known by 3 different Christian names? 

Offline Albufera32

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: Sunday 08 March 20 11:26 GMT (UK) »
My guess would be she was probably known as Nancy, but her "proper" (Christened) name was Agnes, and hence that is the name written on documents such as the birth register. It is also perfectly possible, given that this appears to be an illegitimate birth, that the name Agnes is used precisely BECAUSE she is not normally known by that name.

As for the Annie, you do not give details of why you believe Nancy is also Annie Morrison, so I can only speculate that that may be a transcription error, or perhaps was her original name from before her adoption. Given that Annie is Annie MORRISON and not Sloss, I assume this is either a married name or the name of her birth parents, so perhaps again is a deliberate attempt, after her marriage perhaps, to hide the illegitimate birth of Isabel.
McNeil/ McNeill (Argyll)
More (Lanarkshire)
Ure (Polmont)
Colligan (Lanarkshire)
Drinnan (New Zealand)

Offline McKelvieClan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: Sunday 08 March 20 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Ann Morrison kept Isabel Sloss.  She was not put out for adoption. 

Offline McKelvieClan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: Sunday 08 March 20 11:44 GMT (UK) »
I don’t know if this is relevant

Margaret Sloss and Andrew Sloss had a biological daughter called Mary Robertson Sloss.  She married a William Miller Taylor.  His father also called William Miller Taylor and listed on wedding  certificate as a spirit salesman.

Is William Miller Taylor the link to Agnes’s parentage? 

Offline Albufera32

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: Sunday 08 March 20 13:36 GMT (UK) »
I'm sorry, but you seem to be giving contradictory information from one post to the next.

However, to try to clarify what you appear to be saying, you stated that Isabel is the daughter of Agnes Winning Sloss, as per the statuary birth register. You gave an address, and stated that living at the same address is a Margaret Sloss/McMillan, widow of Andrew Sloss. You further stated that Margaret and Andrew had an adopted daughter named Nancy, who for no reason that you have given, you believe to be an Annie Morrison.

Based on this info, and in answer to your question would someone be known by three different names (Agnes, Nancy and Annie), I responded that Nancy being a diminutive form of Agnes, it is very possible for someone to be known as Nancy when their actual baptismal name is Agnes. I further SPECULATED that the later use of ANNIE might be either a transcription error or, given that the surname is also different from before, that this maybe someone trying to hide the illegitimate birth of their daughter Isabel. I made no reference to ISABEL being adopted, merely to Nancy being adopted, as you yourself stated you knew to be the case.

I think it would probably help if you could clarify what you mean by saying you believe Nancy (Margaret's Adopted daughter) is Annie Morrison. Do you mean you think Annie Morrison is the name of a child adopted by Margaret and Andrew, and henceforth known as Nancy, or do you believe that Nancy married someone called Morrison, and is thereafter known as Annie Morrison?
McNeil/ McNeill (Argyll)
More (Lanarkshire)
Ure (Polmont)
Colligan (Lanarkshire)
Drinnan (New Zealand)

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: Sunday 08 March 20 13:44 GMT (UK) »
You further stated that Margaret and Andrew had an adopted daughter named Nancy, who for no reason that you have given, you believe to be an Annie Morrison.
Albufera, this new thread is a continuation of https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=825727.0.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Albufera32

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: Sunday 08 March 20 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Forfarian, that clears up a little of my confusion.

Given the clarification that Margaret and Andrew adopted an Annie Morrison, subsequently known as Nancy, I would suggest another possible explanation, which is that an overly zealous registrar substituted Agnes as what he (incorrectly) assumed was the "proper" name of Nancy.
McNeil/ McNeill (Argyll)
More (Lanarkshire)
Ure (Polmont)
Colligan (Lanarkshire)
Drinnan (New Zealand)