Author Topic: Can’t trace grandmother  (Read 6544 times)

Offline McKelvieClan

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Can’t trace grandmother
« Reply #18 on: Monday 17 February 20 07:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all your help. Charles Browne I don’t think is connected to family.  I am not aware of any Browne’s in the family.

Grandmothers death that was registered by son gives date of birth 1910. She was very close to this son and he would have celebrated birthdays with her he believed born 1910.

Age on marriage certificare states 26 in 1938 but could have lied husband younger. 

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 17 February 20 07:57 GMT (UK) »
'Grandmothers death that was registered by son gives date of birth 1910. She was very close to this son and he would have celebrated birthdays with her he believed born 1910.'

Do you know the date, not the year, of birth?

Offline McKelvieClan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 17 February 20 08:36 GMT (UK) »
The date of her birth is 22 August 1910 that is on her death certificate.  The son who registered death under the maiden surname part of death certificate there is a line through it.  She died in England.  This son relocated and she followed him. 

There was a Mary Ann Morrison born in Blythswood in 1910.  I researched her and it’s not her.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 17 February 20 08:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shirley,

Moryson/Morrison is the maiden name your grandmother used when she married .
What is the other maiden name used on her children's birth certificates, please?

Charles Brrowne Von ( his surname is Von/Browne is his middle name) was just a witness to the wedding and probably no relation to bride or groom.

Looby :)

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 17 February 20 08:58 GMT (UK) »
Have you found any possibilities for her on 1911 census?

Offline McKelvieClan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 17 February 20 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Grandmothers wedding certificate her name is:-

Ann Royston Moryson

My Mother’s birth certificate her mother was Ann Royston Moryson before her marriage and this birth was registered by my mother’s father.

My mother believed her mother’s maiden name was Ann Morrison no mention of Royston and my mother, the third daughter was called Ann Morrison (and grandmother’s married name).
Third daughter following tradition of being named after mother. My mother always said they lived in Girvan before moving to Glasgow and my mother’s birth is registered in Girvan in the county of Ayr. This looks all true.

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 17 February 20 09:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shirley

From your first post - Her first two children I obtained eldest child’s marriage certificate and death certificate of second child she gives one maiden name. 

You seem to suggest these documents give a different maiden name to the other certificates. Can you clarify, please? And if there is a different name could you tell us? It could be a clue to help us locate your grandmother.

Looby :)

Offline McKelvieClan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 17 February 20 10:45 GMT (UK) »
I don’t have any of the other children’s correct birth certificates this search has led me on such a goose chase. I am awaiting certificates arriving.

The twist in it all is the second maiden name that has only appeared a few weeks ago.

My grandmother on her wedding certificate states her parents as Andrew Royston Moryson and Margaret McMillan.

I could not find any details on these two. An Andrew Sloss and a Margaret McMillan did get married in
1889.  Sloss is the name that appears on death certificate and the marriage certificate and the name 2 of  her children believed her maiden name to be.  He was 27 and she was 28 when married. Have not found any children for these two.

Witnesses at this wedding were a John Sloss and an Isa Morrison.  They married.  I have not managed to find out if they had children. 

That’s where I am with it all. 

I don’t understand my grandmothers connection to all this.  If Margaret McMillan was my grandmother’s mother she would have been 39 when she had my grandmother.  Too old?

Isa Morrison was 28 when she married in 1902 and John Sloss was 36.  Don’t think these could
be my grandmothers parents.  Thought possible adoption. First possible link with Morrison name.

All very complicated but do think there is a secret here somewhere.

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 17 February 20 10:51 GMT (UK) »
The closest thing that I have come up with is a September 1910 birth of a Annie R Marson in Knaresborough, in the county of West Riding of Yorkshire.

Malky